Which amps to use?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Erik Farstad, Jun 13, 2002.

1. Erik Farstad

Erik Farstad Supporting Actor

So I have this amp:http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=Amplifiers
    And this one:http://www.amchome.com/Merchant2/mer...ode=Amplifiers
    Now that I'm getting ready to start building my HT room, I'm wonder as well which amp should run which speakers. I initially bought the second stereo amp (100x2) to run my back two center speakers (Energy C-2's) and the 5x150 amp for my Center (Energy AC-300, L/R (Energy C-2's), and side speakers (Axiom QS-8's). But now I'm wondering if I should use the stereo amp for my L/R and have the 5 channel run my center, side, and back center speakers.
    My thinking is since most of the drain will be on center channel and L/R, by not having these three on the same amp I may get better performance because they are not all drawing current from the same amp.
    Watcha guys think? Of course I will try this out once the room is up, but I'd love to get some input on this too....maybe one of you is running something similar?
    Thanks!
    E

2. Erik Farstad

I just know you guys have opinions! [​IMG]
    E

3. Charles Gurganus

Charles Gurganus Supporting Actor

I think you could just try several different approaches. I would think the more powerful amp SHOULD be connected to the front mains in ALL scenerios. I would use the smaller amp for the 2 rear speakers. Then connect the 2 center rears along with the front 3 speakers to the bigger amp. My thinking is the the center rears would not require as much or as often too much juice, which in turn would help the front 3. Just one way to try. Just make sure you calibrate using the SPL meter.

4. Erik Farstad

Thanks Charles, I had not thought of that configuration!
    Anyone else wanna chime in and tell me what to do? LOL...[​IMG]
    E

5. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Is this new construction we're talking about...no walls yet?

6. Erik Farstad

Chu, yes new construction. The length is fixed at 18 ft, and height at 8 ft, but the width is not. I'm thinking 12 ft but can increase that dimension.

So the room is not huge by any means and the amps should be more then adequate for this size room.

E

7. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

Give any thought to incorporating acoustic batts in the walls as insulation? Maybe having some of the walls be an acoustic type wallboard? Head on over to owen cornings website and check out their acoustics area.
    May you have no cost overruns and may your home be finished on time [​IMG]

8. Erik Farstad

Thansk Chu! I'm acoustically separating the room from the entire house, you can check out my house here if you want:
    www.devotionsbyerik.com/HomeConstruction.htm
    I will be using batts, wallboard, the whole works....but still wonder if anyone has any insights as to the amps! Thanks all! [​IMG]
    E

9. John A. Casler

John A. Casler Second Unit

I was exercising with Lilian Mueller about two hours ago, (you should see her all sweaty) She said HI!
    A real "wegian" will know who she is. [​IMG]
    John Casler

10. John Mannix

John Mannix Extra

Erik,

If I were you, I'd either go with the suggestion from Charles, or if the ACM 2100 is still available, I'd get another one and bridge them both for 250 watts per main channel speaker. Then I'd use the 150 watt x 5-channel amp for center, side, and rear surrounds. Even if the 2100 isn't still available you might find one on E-bay or Audiogon.

Good luck.

11. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

The multi channel amp might be more powerful, but the stereo one might actually sound better...you never know. The 5 channel amp is only 37lb while the stereo one is just 10lb lighter at 27lb...and weight is *sometimes* an indicator of build quality at least...the stereo version also seems to have more headroom than the 5 channel one...
    I'd try out either the stereo one as the mains or for the rears. See which one you like better.