Which amplifier for temporary system?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by JustinSC, Apr 19, 2005.

1. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

Here is my situation: I am going on a training program for a company and they are supplying about a 1 year temporary housing (apartment I guess). What I want to do is get an amplifier to plug my laptop/ipod or whatnot to be my source and than when I get a more permanent home get a pre/pro and upgrade to HT/Music system. Right now my plans are to drive a DIY Dayton III system at 4 ohms. What would be some good options for amplifiers?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    FYI: I wouldn't try to run any system off a headphone jack; not enough voltage to give you good sound. So you would want some other way of transporting the audio to the receiver.

Stereo or multi-channel? Stereo is easy - probably the Cambridge Audio Azur 340a for $199 in this thread (note - you may have to call about the coupon). For the price, you might as well go for the CD too...[​IMG]

3. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

Not really looking into a receiver since I think seperates are the way to go for upgradability and SQ purposes.

I would like an amp that I would beable to use in my future system. I guess I'll put a price point of ~700-800. I'm not worried too much about the sound, running my ipod with a headphone to RCA jack doesn't degrade the SQ too much.

It will be run in stereo.

4. John Garcia

John
    You wouldn't want to output directly to a separate amplifier, you'll want a preamp stage as well, which is why I recommended the integrated ampifier (stereo only). It wouldn't necessarily be so easy to incorporate an integrated into an HT, so you are probably looking at a receiver or a stereo receiver.

5. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

Why do I need a preamp stage? Why can't I connect my ipod to the amplifier and use the ipod's volume control?

6. John Garcia

John
  7. JustinSC

JustinSC Extra

But it is still possible to use my ipod as my source. As it is only a temporary solution, I think I can deal with the sound quality.

It looks like the best bang for the buck would be the Outlaw 770 amplifier, any other opinions? This would give me a good option to creating a good HT and music system later?