1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Which amp

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeremy Hopkins, Sep 19, 2002.

1. Jeremy Hopkins

I have to make a choice.

I can buy a Bryston 2B for $500 plus shipping or a 3B for $700 plus shipping. The 2B is 9 years old, and the 3B is an unknown age(older one with flat face plate, will talk to bryston in the next couple days). I'm still in the process of building my own speakers, so I can't state any sensitivities etc, but I can tell you the drivers if it will help.

I will use them mostly for music but also for home theater (yes some of you cringing at the thought of 2 channel HT, but I'm in university and money is short). I also have to buy a preamp, i'm thinking an older 0.5B, so the extra money form the 2B would be good. Do you think the 2B would be addiquate?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be great!!!

Cheers,

Jeremy

2. Mark R O

Mark R O Stunt Coordinator

Since the speakers are an unknown, get the 3B. Age is not likely a factor with the Brystons. I can't recall ever hearing anyone lament "Damn, I bought too many watts! Why didn't I get the little amp?"

3. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

Jeremy,

Phone Bryston with the serial numbers and they will tell you the exact age of the amps.
    Now, if memory serves...
    Bryston discontinued their regular "B" version in or very close to 1990 and started to manufacture there "NRB" version from 1990 to about, I believe, 1995. After that it was their ST version until this year. Thus, if it is truly the "B" version you are looking at, it could very well be at least 12-13 years old.

For the same amount of money what about a Denon, Onkyo, Yamaha, etc. receiver? I have both a Denon 3802 and a Bryston 3B-ST amp (using the preouts on the receiver) and the Denon will surely suffice musically and home theater-wise at least until you are done being a student and have a bit more discretionary money for separates.

4. Jeremy Hopkins

He actually just emailed me back and realized its a 4B and not a 3B(uped price to $900). Plus that its warrentied till Jan 1, 2006. This price increase is making me lean more toward the 2B. Since its only 8 months of school and I won't have my speakers done for another month then it might be a good idea.....That way I can buy another 2B next summer and biamp them...We'll see.

I'm buying the amp itself also because it will be the end of next summer before I have the time and money to build the rest of the speakers for the theater. Thanks for the offer though....You never know...I might change my mind over the weekend.

Cheers,

Jeremy

5. David Berry

$900 US(?) is a lot of money to pay for an almost 17 year old Bryston 4B amp. You can do better by purchasing a used Rotel, Parasound, or for that matter, a used Bryston 3B-ST (I bought mine for $1300 Cdn., mint condition, 1.5 years old).
    I would suggest looking a bit more at sites such as this.

6. Jeremy Hopkins

I have been. I got the offer through www.canuckaudiomart.com. I'm not going to get teh 4B, its too much and too old. What about the 2B? is $500 too much for one thats 9 years old? Any thoughts?
    Thanks

7. Jeremy Hopkins

No wait....Sorry about that...All the prices quoted are in Canadian money.

Sorry for the confusion

8. David Berry

I just noticed here that there is a used Rotel RB985 THX certified amp. They are asking $750 Cdn. for it. This is a 5x100W amp that would have been manufactured from 1995-1998. No warranty as Rotel does not transfer. Just thought I would point this one out as you mentioned that you might be getting into home theater.
    As for $500 for the 9 year old 2B? I don't know if this is a good price or not. At least get the serial number to confirm the age if you have not.
    In your shoes, I would finish your speakers first, and try to determine what the dB/W/m is before purchasing an amp.

9. Jeremy Hopkins

The way I look at it is that to buy one new it would cost me about $1400 or so. I was talking to the person who help me design them, and desgined the whole crossover, he said that 60 watts would be enough. The lowest sensitivity driver in the speakers is 89db, and if I'm finally reading the projected response graphs correctly then they should be about that sensitive.
    I won't be about to do much with HT for at least another year. I want to get a nice two channel system set up first and then build the rest. I won't make my decision till next week anyway.
    Thanks for your thoughts!
    [​IMG]

10. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

Hey Jeremy,

I saw a Conrad Johnson Sonographe Sa-120 on Audiogon for $325us and thought of you. A sweet sounding, well built, 120wpc ss amp.

Good luck

-rob

11. Jeremy Hopkins

I think I'm gonna take David's advice and wait. By the time I get them finished I should have a good handle on how much money I will be able to spend.

Cheers,

Jeremy