Which amp to buy.... newbie here.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by AngelAmezcua, Oct 19, 2002.

1. AngelAmezcua

AngelAmezcua Auditioning

I am very new to separates and I really have no clue what kind of amp I should get. I've read a little about rotels, bryston, aragon and so on. But I still don't know which one I should buy. I am currently looking at buying a used bryston 3st, but I'm not sure if this is the right amp for me. What I'm really looking for is an amp that can deliver full rich music specially in the mids. I like to listen to soft jazz, new wave, Enya...

2. Rob Rodier

Rob Rodier Supporting Actor

I listen to the same type of music.

You are looking at 3 different high quality amps. Each will hold their own. My take is this;

Aragon is very neutral, almost stale but stays musical

Bryston; neutral, great sound, killer amp

rotel; great amps but might be a little out of their league when compared to the others.

When I looked at these I considered the aragon and bryston pretty much neck and neck. A little different sounding, but greats amps all-together.

In the end the bryston's have the warranty.

-rob

3. AngelAmezcua

AngelAmezcua Auditioning

Thanks for the info Rob. I was kind of going in that direction, but just needed assurance. [​IMG]

4. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

It will depend on the kind of speakers you are driving. All are good amps with the right kind of speaker. Speaker/amp synergy is very important and shouldn't be overlooked for long-term satisfaction of your system. If you dont believe me try hooking up and Aragon/Bryston to a Klipsch. It would help to know what kind of speaker you will be using.

5. David Berry

David Berry Stunt Coordinator

I would agree with Yogi. Depending upon the type of speakers you have will have a direct bearing as to what kind of amplifier you should be looking at, and thus our opinions.

That disclaimer first, I have a Bryston 3B-ST amp powering a pair of Paradigm Studio 60v2 (8 ohm nominal impedance, ~88 dB/m/1W) and it is a good fit. I bought it used in Canada for $1300 Cdn., 1.5 years old.

6. AngelAmezcua

AngelAmezcua Auditioning

I will be using Polk LSi25 that are rated 4 ohms. Thanks

7. Yogi

Yogi Screenwriter

I think in that case you should be fine with either of the choices. I consider Polks to be fairly neutral with the amps I heard them with, but someone can correct me if I am wrong.

8. Scott Oliver

Scott Oliver Screenwriter

Well I first thought about suggesting a tube amp since you mentioned the midrange, but I am not sure if those Polks are very tube friendly.

I had a Bryston 5B-St for 4 years and it performed well. Gives all the detail you could want, but in the end I had to sell it for my desire for a more musical tube amp.

Warranty is very nice and reassuring too.