What's new

Which Amp? Outlaw M200*7 vs Sherbourn 2100/7 vs other? (1 Viewer)

Harlan B

Grip
Please help me choose the best Amp for my situation:

I have a Denon 3802 (will be the pre-pro), Speakers are: Diva by Swans 6.1 (front) 2.1(rear) C3 (center) R3 (surround)... These baby's can suck the juice!

Which Amp is best for me?

Please consider that most important to me is which is "Quieter" and more "Musical". I listen to 20% classical music, 80% movies (with classical music in them).

Any help or advice, or thoughts are appreciated.

p.s. I've also heard the Anthem and the ATI are good Amps.

Thanks,
Harlan

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Does the Denon have 12v trigger or power outlet[to use a wallwarth] for power amps?
It comes really handy to power up 7 monoblocks.
I personally like monoblocks but I never heard the Outlaw one,and not sure that the class G rating would affect the sound in "negative" way.Perhaps owners can chime in?
I would look around also for used Marantz and Parasound monos out there.Can save a bundle too.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
If you like monoblocks then the Sherbourn is a great choice. It's basically 7 monoblock amps, each with their own power supply, in one chassis.

Harlan B

Grip
Yah, Sherbourn is a nice idea: but the appeal of mono-blocks to me is that if one fails, you send the 1 back... for repair.

If 1 of the sherbourn internally fails, I'm shipping the 100lb package!!!

Harlan

Carol-AnnZ

Agent
We've never had any experience with the Sherbourn product, but we upgraded from a Parasound 5-channel amp to Outlaw M200's x5 and we are very, very happy with the purchase. Not only do they provide all the headroom we need with startling effects during movies, they really look cool stacked on top of each other :)

Harlan B

Grip
Well, I have an update:

I called outlaw, and since they were unwilling to negotiate on their price *at all*... and their salesperson was less than nice,

I will go with the Sherbourn (whose sales people have been more than helpful, curious about my system and needs, etc.)

So, now I have to decide if buying a used Sherbourn is best or spending $400 more for a new one?

Thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Harlan

Harlan B

Grip
The used one was listed at 1600 or so (see Audiogon)

I decided it was worth it to me to buy it Retail because of warranty.

(not to worry, I got a good deal still)

It's all done, I ordered the Sherbourn today!

I also ordered some Cobalt Cable interconnects... we'll see how they do as well.

Wish me luck,

and thanks for all the help,
Harlan

RajeeK

Second Unit
Nice choice. I also have a 7/2100 and love it. I went with it over outlaw as well. I am thanking myself even more now that I hear your customer service experience with them. Let us know how you love it.

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
For what its worth. I ordered a Sherbourn 7/2100 about 6 months ago. It seemed to have issues when I tried to connect it up and I called Sherbourn. I got right through to Ron Fone, one of the owners and rather than have me unhappy at all, they actually cross shipped a brand new unit to me. I had the new one before I even had sent the new one back and my dealer even paid the freight on the return. This is one first rate company. I love the unit and I love the owners.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Harlan,
good choice on both amp and cable.
I have Cobalt speaker cable and an optical digital cable.
Both are top quality and don't cost an "arm and a leg".

I'm rather puzzled about your experience with Outlaw.
I had nothing but good experience with both, their products and their service.
Let us know when you get your gear, and how you like it.
Good Luck!

Chas_T

Supporting Actor
Harlan,

You will enjoy the Sherbourn across the board for music and HT. I've owned both the 5 channel 5/1500A and the 7/2100 and they have been stellar from a cost/performance perspective.

Also, the customer service experience you describe has been a mirror of my purchases at both the company and dealer level. Be careful lifting that amp out of the container. Two people make it much easier.

Much luck Harlan.

Harlan B

Grip
In defense of Outlaw (for you outlaw owners out there)...

My Customer Service expectations are always very high.

I probably would have gotten great service from them, if this were a technical issue or a warranty call.... (I've heard that Outlaw is great in this reguard).

In reality, I got poor Sales service. The person I spoke with on the phone was not interested in even discussing the possiblity of negotiating on price. I was willing to write up reviews, to get other buyers, and to "Bulk Buy" Outlaw Cables...

All that sales and free advertisinig LOST because he wouldn't consider giving me ANY DEAL! And instead he get's negative press from me because I had a bad experience... AND I won't ever consider buying from Outlaw again.

To make it worse, he was arrogant, and rude about it...

That's just bad business IMHO.

Harlan

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I called outlaw, and since they were unwilling to negotiate on their price *at all*... and their salesperson was less than nice.

I will go with the Sherbourn (whose sales people have been more than helpful, curious about my system and needs, etc.)
This just floors me. The guys at Outlaw are some of the best people to talk with about your system requirements and have always been helpful and courteous when dealing with them.

I am glad that you are happy with your purchase.

Parker

Albert Damico

Stunt Coordinator
I make recomendations from time to time, and I was very close to buying the Outlaw amp instead of the Sherbourn. I want to make sure I understand. Are you saying that you did not like the sales support because of a specific reason or only because they wouldn't discount, and despite your efforts to get them to discount they held the line, and then may have become a little defensive because you continued to beat them up because they wouldn't discount?

Harlan B

Grip
Albert, you basically have it right: here's the whole story (as I see it):

I had decided on the M-200 Monoblocks: but they were just a tad above my price range.

I called Outlaw up, only to be told (rather rudely and arrogantly) "we don't negotiate on price... ever"

I was willing to write reviews, to buy cables as well, to get other people here (where I work) to buy Outlaw...

instead, they got an unhappy customer, who won't consider their products again.

That's bad business IMHO.

Just FYI: If you go with Outlaw, don't ask for any special deal... you'll just be disappointed, frustrated, and give up on the company.

Harlan

jeff.adams

Agent
With all due respect I find your (Harlan's) remarks regarding Outlaw's unwillingness to cut a deal a little funny. They have a simple policy - they don't discount. I of all people understand the desire to get a good deal, believe me. But they use a direct-sales fixed-price sales model. The fact that you don't like that is understandable, but hardly reason to get upset and complain to the world. My personal opinion is that it makes you look a little silly and immature. Because I do like to get good deals, it quite frankly pleases me that Outlaw won't deal because I can rest assured that I got the "best deal" and I won't have to read about how some other guy got the same product as I bought for (x) dollars less.

By the way I don't actually own any Outlaw products, although I _am_ interested in this thread as I need a 7 channel amp. I'd give it pretty high odds I'll end up with an Outlaw product.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
I agree with you on the subject Jeff....same thing would happen if you tried the same with SVS....they are web based companies and don't sell there items anywhere but directly from there store therefore they are selling the products at the lowest possible price while still making money....I only wish I had the Money for the Outlaw Combo....great price for great equipment...

Oh plus if you do buy M200's from outlaw you do save money when you buy 2,3,4,5,6,7 of them....what more could you ask for....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks