Which amp is better. Rotel 1095 or Sherbourn 1500A

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Steve Marsh, Aug 10, 2003.

1. Steve Marsh

Steve Marsh Stunt Coordinator

Guys
    A friend of mine has asked me to find out which of these two power amps is better .
    They are both rated @ 200WX5. I am not interested in price comparissons as he plans to buy used.
    The two amps are
    Rotel 1095 and Sherbourn 1500A.
    Please give your opinions and what you consider to be the pluses and minus of each. The best would be from someone whom has done A/B but I know that is not likely.
    Thanks
    Steve

2. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

What speakers is he driving? Both are very solid designs and will likely both please whom ever owns them so neither is a bad choice. I haven't heard the sherbourn but I can't believe how good my Rotel 1075 sounds compared to other amps I've owned...plus they're damn sexy[​IMG]

PS did you get my email re the 1055?

3. Steve Marsh

He is using a Rotel 1055 as a pre pro and is driving Paradigm Studio 100 V2 for the fronts and I'm not sure about the surrounds.
    My opinion is that the Sherbourn has a superior design 5X mono blocks with seperate power supply for each but I know there are more factors.
    I've posted this on a few forums and the conclusion seems to be there is no conclusion. They are that close.
    What do you think?

4. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

Both are fine amps. I don't think he's go wrong with either. Personally, I'd go for the one I could get the best deal on. I'd also check out the Parasound 2205. The only reason I'd add the Parasound to the mix is that it is also a very fine amp, but has a longer warranty - 5 years parts and labor and 10 years parts if I recall. If he can, have him audition at the same volume levels and see if he prefers any over the other. If not, let things like price, features, warranty determine what to buy.

5. Steve Marsh

He plans to buy these sight unseen from audiogon, e-bay etc so an actual comparrison is not possible. We have Rotel here in Winnipeg (which is what I use) but no sherborne.
    Steve

6. DanaA

DanaA Screenwriter

I don't think the warranties of Rotel or Parasound are transferable. Don't know about Sherbourn. I have heard of cases where Rotel and Parasound have tried to help despite the non-transferable nature of their warranties though.

7. dpippel

dpippel HTF Premium Member

Doug
    Sherbourn's warranties apply to the original purchaser only, and are non-transferable.

8. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

With the Sherbourn and its Mono Block design you may run into problems when running 2 channel because of the size of the toroidal, capacitor and output devices.

Kevin