What's new

Which amp for Stryke AV12 (1 Viewer)

Micah Wells

Agent
I am looking at the Stryke AV12. A couple of questions:

Can this driver be mounted downfiring?

Is the PE 250 watt amp enough or should I go for something bigger? If so, which one?

I am having trouble undrstanding the port length reading I am getting. My calculations show this alignment to be a 33.25 inch port length. Is this right?

I have run this driver on WinISD, and in a 54 L vented enclosure tuned to 22 Hz.

Micah Wells

Aaron Howell

Stunt Coordinator
Since I'm not very familiar with the stryke av12 the only question I can answer is about the amp. I know people say the 250watt is enough, and will give similar performance to the shiva and titanic in the same enclosure. But to really get the full potential of this driver you should get a more powerful amp.

Most people will probably come on here and tell you to go with the 350 watt Rythmic amp. I personally would go with the MCM #50-6282 360 watt remote controlled amp which is on sale right for $159 with free shipping. I can't post URL's yet, so that's is all I can direct you to. And with the preorder going on for the avII's you should be able to save a little there also.

Have fun!:emoji_thumbsup:

Sebastian

Second Unit
Amp:
I would go with something bigger like the Rythmik or even the MCM amp listed above.
If you have the PE 250W amp already, it will work but I agree with Aaron.

With an effective volume of 54L and tuned to 22HZ
I got 33.61L using a 4" port (WinISD Pro).
and 32.12"L using Lsp Cad

Shawn Solar

Supporting Actor
Its gonna be awfully hard to fit that 33inch port in a 2 cube box. I would suggest two passive radiators tuned to 20hz in a 75-100L box. good for flat response at 20hz and up at around 110db before room gain.

Dean-P

Stunt Coordinator
Does the port have to straight?
I have a set of Sound Dynamics 100s speakers and they have ports that have 45 degree angles using three pieces of tube so it is a "round" 45. I would guess as long as it is the required length, it shouldn't matter...:)
my two cents.

MattD

Stunt Coordinator
For the AV12, take a look at it in an 85 Liter enclosure with a 20 Hz tuning. For a 3 inch port diameter I think the port length is about 12-13 inches. The FR looks flat to 20 Hz when I modeled it.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
If you're trying to determine venting for the AV12, you're really going to need a 4" diameter vent as a minimum. Yes, it does get hard to fit the proper port in a small enclosure. For a 54L vented alignment tuned to 22hz I get a 4" diameter vent about 35" long. Pretty much impossible to fit in the box. That's why most of our designs are PR instead. A pair of 12" PR's with 970grams each gets a 20hz tuning in 54L.

The AV12 can be used downfiring.

Regarding the amp, the 250W will be fairly small and you won't be able to push the AV12 to it's full potential. The 350W amps we sell, Rythmik sells, and MCM sells would all get you to about 75-80% of the potential of the woofer. Something like the 500W PE amp would be ideal. I am actually planning to use those in an upcoming product line.

John

Micah Wells

Agent
John-

Thank you for your response. I think that teh Rhythmik amp is going to be my choice, due to price. How hard are the PR's to mount. Are they just like mounting two more drivers? Do you just cut holes in the side and mount them, or is there more to it. Are they centered on the sides? If I build this with the driver downfiring, should the two PR's be mounted on the sides, or should I make this forn-firing? I had thought about the PR's, but I thought that the flared vent might be easier to build. Thanks for the info.

Micah Wells

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks