What's new

Which albums and players will push you into high rez? (1 Viewer)

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I'll certainly buy King Crimson and any other Robert Fripp stuff in high-res; preferably with surround mixes included where possible.
Amen on that. Imagine some of that music in surround. :D

I look forward to Yoshimi DVDA and I have actually held off buying the redbook as a result. What I have heard of it I like a lot.

With all the older rock titles being done, one hopes the entire Hendrix catalog is a lock. Speaking of mono, you should hear some of the mono recordings that Mike Hobson is doing at Classic Records. He has demoed some of these songs in both mono and stereo and each has its pluses and minuses. Interesting fact: at Blue Note, Rudy Van Gelder actually recorded in mono as his main gig for much of his work but made stereo masters simultaneously as backups...

Martin Montes

Auditioning
More DVD-A that swings!
I like to get a Doc Severinson, or other Big Band recording in a surround. I like the Phatt Band in DVD-A, this I could play forever. I am looking forward to April to get the new Yamaha C940 Super Audio CD player (5 disk changer). I have lots of SACDs in my collecton and not sure who whould want a 2 channel (SACD or CD) for the price. The SACDs are one cool media and can be put in "random" play mode for all 5 disks (the DVD-A doesn't have "random" play mode).
Best vocals are Dianna Krall, Dave's True Story, Rebecca Pidgeon, Edan Atwood (Bossa Nova).

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
No matter what software becomes available, I will not support any hi-rez format without a digital connection. I can live with the sound of my 1,200 CDs.

That said, if a digital transmission became standard (allowing proper bass management and time alignment), I would be much more interested and would buy all new releases in the newer format(s).

Jeff Kohn

Supporting Actor
What it will take hardware-wise for me? PC support. I use an HTPC, and I have no interest in buying a standalone player. This pretty much rules SACD due to Sony's arrogance, so I'm betting on DVD-A. Creative already ships a card with DVD-A playback capabilities, but I'm waiting for M-Audio to release a DVD-A player since I prefer their cards. As an added bonus my M-Audio soundcard has full bass-management and time-delay support, which should make it more capable than most standalone players in that regard.

On the software side, my tastes tend towards rock/metal/classic-rock and classical music. I'm most interested in 24/192 stereo tracks and mult-channel mixes that add ambience and immersion without getting too gimmicky.

David Lawson

Screenwriter
Real Name
David Lawson
It was a combination of factors for me. The blowout pricing on the Sony CE775 and the curiosity about multichannel classical recordings were the decisive ones, though I now own more jazz SACDs than any other genre thanks to recommendations on this forum.

Uncle Tupelo (and any other following Farrar and Tweedy projects, while we're at it) and Massive Attack would be welcome additions, as would Guster...but I won't hold my breath on that last one.

Brian Burgoyne

Second Unit
I have an old Toshiba 4700 so I've had dvd-a for a while, but I really want SACD just so I have more software choices. I am almost tempted to buy the Yamaha 2300 right now and be done with it, but knowing that the Denon 2900 should be coming out sometime soon is making me wait.

George See

Second Unit
R.E.M. did it for me, i've already taken the plunge. I needed a new dvd video player anyway so I picked up the
sd-4800...dvd audio and progressive scan were the two things I was looking for and my wife was looking for affordable so that player fit the bill, and I must say i'm very happy with it.

As far as stuff i'd really like to come out, I can't wait for pet sounds and Led Zeppelin would be really nice. I'd Kill for some Fiona Apple on DVD-A and more of the artists that are already out there. I would love Morrison Hotel (peace frog enough said) i'd love some more Natalie Merchant stuff. Vannesa Mae, Brian Setzer Orchestra, Nirvana unplugged, Indigo Girls, Pearl Jam, Billy Joel, Scott Joplin, Gershwin....I suppose I could keep going I guess my point is I just want more titles!
How about They Might Be Giants in surround that could be interesting :)

Zenas

Agent
I would love it if Metallica's S&M live orchestral performance was released on multichannel SACD. Just imagine...
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

DamianA

Grip
How about some Wendy/Walter Carlos in high res… that would sound good.

I must say I would REALLY like some more Zappa. Halloween is simply amazing.

Also, Early Genesis, Pink Floyd/Solo (more), Bowie (more), Zeppelin/Solo, Beatles/Solo (more), Purple (more), Cooper (more), Sabbath/Solo, etc, etc.

Glad that Megadeth is being released… other than Metallica that’s really it for metal that’s been released in high res.

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
I remember a similar question came up a few months back. It could have been a question brought up in a thread that started out differently...but anyway...

Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon really has my interest, but after seeing some of the wave files gleaned off the 2 and 5.1 tracks over at Hoffman's forum, the maximizing used may push me to just get the LP and record my own to CD-R.

Though it may be minimal, It seems that the previous maximum peak amplitude no longer waits to occur in the last track anymore. Now it happens very early on the disc - and continues to peak several thousand times throughout.

But, I may get the SACD anyway, even though I can't play the SA layer just yet.

What would really help is to see Heart in some high-rez format. I don't care if it's 2-channel only or not.

Also:
Alan Parson Project - everything else beyond "I Robot"
Louisiana's LeRoux - the first LP would be great even though it seems there's no interest in them from anyone else but me anymore :).
And, Chuck Mangione's: Feels So Good

Those would push me way over the edge.

Of course, Pat Benatar, Blondie, Missing Persons, Duran Duran, Tangerine Dream, Cocteau Twins...those would all be nice too.

I may be waiting quite a while...

Joel

Greg Br

Second Unit
Multi Channel is the only reason I am into Hi Res, its not worth it to replace all my redbook CD's to buy sacd or dvd a two channel.

The album for me was DVD-A hotel california

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
While I already have SACD and DVD-A capabilities, I only own 22 high-res titles. Here is some of what I would spend my money on in high-res:
  • Beatles catalog
  • Steely Dan
  • Van Morrison -- I was listening to Moondance just last night, and would love an improved version
  • Alan Parsons
  • Dire Straits
  • Eric Clapton
  • Jimi Hendrix

I already have Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon on order. :)

David Head

Second Unit
I'm already into both hi-res formats and would also love to see Jethro Tull, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan and Supertramp. Here are a few otheres I'd love to see:

Acoustic Alchemy
Bachman-Turner Overdrive
The Cars
Counting Crows
Dire Straits
Don Henley
INXS
Kansas
Dave Matthews Band
Steve Miller Band
Alan Parsons Project
Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers
Toad The Wet Sprocket
U2

David

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
Precious little, in either category.

I'm still waiting for a decent intro universal player available in Canada at a price point similar to those in the US. The 45A almost cuts it, and the more upscale Yammie was looking very good for a while. Maybe the rumoured next Yammie?

But the big problem for me is the music. I'm not really a fan of the super popular music which is of course, first onto the new formats. Unfortunately, the less poppy stuff out doesn't much float my boat, either. DSOTM is about the only thing out which could tempt me, and I hear that Ministry may put out a DVD-A. Hopefully it's much cleaner than the CD version, otherwise it will be pointless.

If hi-rez content came from most of the small record labels, I would be far more tempted to buy in.

There's a chance I might end up going to vinyl before hi-rez.

Martin.

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
After I purchased my Sony SCD-C555ES my wife brought home the Meatloaf 'Bat out of Hell' SACD. I was really excited to hear my first hirez, but oh my god this sounded bad. I checked all connections and it turns out this is a shitty hirez release.

I've read other reviews like Boston and Train that stated the hirez was not different from the redbook. This was very disappointing. I now have to search the internet for reviews and others experiences on specific hirez that I want before buying. I think it's sad that anyone would put out mediocre quality SACD's. We want the whole dynamic range, not clipped music.

On the other hand, I have some fantastic SACD's to listen to and would like to see stuff by:
ZZ Top
Supertramp
Metallica
Megadeth
Skynard...

Come on, more rock...I'm leaving right now to get my Pink Floyd!!!

Tony-B

Senior HTF Member
For me, I want one format to be the clear-cut winner. One that all the companies will adopt. That is the most important factor. I don't want to buy into one format when I don't know if it will be the dominant format. I have a feeling that SACD will come out on top, because of hybrid discs.

Now for albums to get released, I will come if there is more metal. I especially want Roadrunner Records to adopt a high-res format, since they have the most bands that I like. Some bands that would lure me over would be Spineshank, Stone Sour, Audioslave, Static-X, System of a Down, Disturbed (The Sickness), more Metallica, more Megadeath, and AC/DC.

I also want more punk and ska out. Especially Offspring (old and new), Reel Big Fish, and Less Than Jake. I know that AFI's new album "Sing the Sorrow" will be coming out in a special edition that will include a DVD with 5 songs remixed into 5.1 surround is being released by Dreamworks on April 22nd.

Some other things I want to see released before I make the plunge are Beatles albums and Huey Lewis and the News.

There needs to be a player that will work in cars. Also a portable player would be nice too, but most likely would not work, since most high-res albums are in 5.1.

I also want to have new high-res albums coming out day-and-date with their CD counterparts.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks