Which agp card needed for widescreen gaming?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris PC, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I was thinking that I may need to upgrade my video card for various reasons (my video card is incompatable with my motherboard). If I plan to play most games in widescreen at 848 x 484 on my LCD projector, is there any point in getting a 9800 Pro over a 9600 XT?

2. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

uhhh yeah the 9600 series isnt meant for high resolutions in any newer games, peronally id skip thew 9800 pro right now as well, and get a 6600 GT it will blow em both out of the water for just over 200 bucks. I have a 9800 pro and it runs everything just fine at 1600x1200, but the 6600GT is in the same price range and much faster.

3. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

I'll second the 6600GT is the card to get at it's pricepoint, which isn't much more than a 9800 Pro, which I also have. Get that card and you'll be future proof for a good while. Let me add though that my brother recently upgraded from a 9700 Pro to this card and in real gaming he hasn't seen really seen the improvement he had hoped, so I'll be waiting a while longer for an even better $200 solution.

4. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Right. Well, I won't be playing many 3D games and as I mentioned, was intending to play most at 848 x 484. Thats a lower resolution than 800 x 600. I realize those are good suggestions, as the 6600GT is very much on my radar screen, but I am looking at spending no more than $200 CAD if possible. I see used 9800 Pro's with R360 cores for close to that, so thats what I had my eye on. Also there's a sale on the ATI 9600XT AIW which has me tempted, but it has no DVI. How important is DVI? I know its potentially good for HTPC dvd playback use, although I won't be using this for that purpose (nice to have the ability though) and also how long before LCD monitors (my next monitor) will have DVI input only and no VGA inputs?

5. WayneO

WayneO Supporting Actor

It's not critical to have since a DVI-Vga adapter comes with most cards. I couldn't guess when Vga will be phased out, but most LCD's still have both, so it'll be a good while IMO. A 9600XT won't be bad for your purposes and resolutions. I buy and sell used PC stuff all the time and have never had a problem, and if you don't, a used 9800 Pro might be the way to go.

6. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Was ready to forgo the DVI and faster game play but I've come across reports of banding while using the capturing features of the AIW 9600XT (and any ATI with the theatre 200 chip). Anyone have experience with that?

7. Shane Martin

Shane Martin Producer

Go the 6600GT

8. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

I've heard of people having issues using the 6600GT on an HTPC. Something about refresh rates. Anyone? I won't be using it for that as my main purpose, but I don't want to have that option eliminated, especially since I'll be hooking up my PC to the PJ for gaming.

9. Chris PC

Chris PC Producer

Looking for a 9700 Pro now. If anyone knows where I can find one, lemme know [​IMG]

I placed an ad in the trading section.