which 6.1DD-EX/DTS-ES/DPL II receiver to use as pre/pro?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by KevinW, Mar 18, 2002.

1. KevinW

KevinW Stunt Coordinator

I thougt I had completey decided on the Onkyo 797 to upgrade my Sony DE-835. But with all the posts lately on using receivers as pre/pros, I'm thinking about getting a cheaper receiver with the same processing specs and adding external amplification. The Parasound 855 sounds like a steal from what I've read here, but it's only 5-channels, and the six channel amps I've come across are $$$!

So, I'm thinking about starting off with a couple of monoblocks(possibly Marantz) to power the fronts, using the receiver for all other channels. Then, replacing other channels with more monoblocks as my budget allows.

My system use is about 33% HT/66% music, so 2-ch stereo sound quality is a must.

Your thoughts on this idea and recommendations on the receiver and amps please.

2. Michael Mohrmann

Michael Mohrmann Screenwriter

"The Parasound 855 sounds like a steal from what I've read here, but it's only 5-channels, and the six channel amps I've come across are $$$!"

You could always use the external amp for the mains and the center (and maybe the side surrounds), and use the receiver's amps for the surrounds (rear(s) and maybe the sides). The power requirement for the rear speakers is much less than the fronts, and the rear speakers typically do not need the boost from external amplification.

Michael

3. John Tompkins

John Tompkins Supporting Actor

Kevin,

Marantz monoblocks would work great if you have the room. Also you might consider a five channel and two channel amp. You could start by getting a good two channel amp and latter as funds come in you could add the 5 channel amp. Also you could consider a three channel amp and let the reciever power the back four speakers. This way you could get a great three chaneel amp like the rotel rb-993 or parasound 2003 or b&k ref4330 all these amps are 200 wattsX3.

Also the onkyo 797 would be a good choice as a pre-pro or maybe even the sony str-da5es as it can be had for 787.00 from authozied online dealer. It has two sets of 5.1 inputs for sacd and dvd-audio, eq for front channels, great base management even better then outlaw 950. Plus has all the new formats. Lots of choices

4. StevenK

StevenK Second Unit

Kevin,

I just went with the H/K AVR520 today. I had the exact same needs as you do and one of the selling point for me on the H/K were the amps could drive any input. So although the receiver only has 5 channels, you can have the 5 channels driving the rears, surrounds, and center only while allowing your external amp to drive the fronts. I found that not all 6.1/7.1 receivers had this feature...that is the front amps could only used for the front signals, the rear amps could only be used for the rear signals, etc...

I actually haven't heard the H/K in person yet, so I'm still reserving judgement on the sound quality. I'll let other chime in on it for this part.

I got mine for $627 from onecall. I think that price is hard to beat for the features you get.

5. Chriss M

Chriss M Second Unit

im also going with an HK520 (replacing a Denon 3801 for various reasons). The only downside to the HK is that i dont believe it has any implementation of Dolby EX.

6. Dan Hitchman

Dan Hitchman Cinematographer

If you are going to get separate power amps anyway, then I would strongly consider investing in a good pre-pro instead of a receiver.

So far from all indications the Outlaw Audio Model 950 (as you may already know) looks like "a lot of bang for your buck." If it can play with the big boys (like going against a very expensive Lexicon MC-12 sonically), then I'd say that's a true statement.

Dan

7. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

John,

You said;

8. John Tompkins

Bruce,

(quote}

Could you elaborate a little and tell me what kind of bass management the Sony has?

This is from crutchfield website on the sony str-da5es.

Front Speakers: you may select "LARGE" or "SMALL"

Center Speaker: you may select "NO", "LARGE", or "SMALL". If the front speakers are set to "SMALL", the center speaker cannot be set to "LARGE".

Surround Speakers: you may select "NO", "LARGE" or "SMALL". If the front speakers are set to "SMALL", the surround speakers cannot be set to "LARGE".

Surround Back Speaker: you may select "NO", "LARGE", or "SMALL". If the front speakers are set to "SMALL", the surround back speaker cannot be set to "LARGE".

Surround Back L/R: you may select "YES" or "NO". If you select "YES", you can use the center speaker as the surround back right and the surround back speaker as the surround back left. Note: The center speaker must be set to "NO".

Subwoofer: you may select "YES" or "NO"

Subwoofer Phase Polarity: you may select "NORMAL" or "REVERSE"

Surround Speaker Position: when using rear speakers, this setting is used for proper operation of the sound fields that create virtual rear speakers; you may select "SIDE", "MIDDLE" or "BEHIND"

Surround Speaker Height: you may select "LOW" or "HIGH"

Front Speaker Crossover: when the front speakers are set to "SMALL", you can adjust the front speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments

Center Speaker Crossover: when the center speaker is set to "SMALL", you can adjust the center speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments

Surround Speaker Crossover: when the surround speakers are set to "SMALL", you can adjust the surround speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments

Surround Back Speaker Crossover: when the surround back speaker is set to "SMALL", you can adjust the surround back speaker bass crossover frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments

LFE High-Cut Filter: allows you to adjust the LFE high-cut frequency from 40Hz to 200Hz in 10Hz increments

Test Tone: the test tone feature allows you to independently adjust the volume level of each channel

As you can see the sony has better bass management then any other unit on the market.

9. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Hello John,

Where did you find the sony str-da5es for 787.00 from authozied online dealer. I have heard the da3es and I thought the sound comparable to the denon 3802. I would be very interested in the da5.

Sorry to get off track.

Jeff

10. John Tompkins

Jeff,

I'm pretty sure it was jandr.com or onecall.com maybe somebody knows which one. But I bet either place will do it for that price as somebody around here on the forum purchased it for that price. Both are authorized dealers.

11. Jeff Massey

Jeff Massey Agent

Thanks John, I will give them a call.

12. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

John,

Can all the speakers set to small on the Sony have their xovers at different frequencies ? i.e. not a global xover?

Thanks

13. John Tompkins

Bruce,

I dont own the str-da5es but I did call sony and they said yes that all could be set independently. Also I did own the sony 777es and all channels center, rear, fronts and lfe could be set independently so I'm almost positive the answer is yes.

14. MatthewJ S

MatthewJ S Supporting Actor

Don't want to stara huge debate but are most of you here that are using(or planning on using) a mono(x2)/2/3 channel amp planning on buying more matched amps later to complete your "matched" system ?...is using the vastly differant amps that are built into the rcvr just a temporary solution until the additional amps are purchased (like working into a matched speaker set)? I'm confused because I would not use a krell mono-block for my right speaker and a sony amp to drive my left any more than I would mix a DEF-tech speaker with a Klipsch.....I mean, I See the benifit of using multiple amps, but I wouldn't want to trade off the possibility of a balanced system for it....help me understand what I'm missing....