Which 5 channel anp with Klipsch Speaker?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by BobAlbano, Apr 5, 2002.

1. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

I have Ref 3 series speakers and they are paired with a Onkyo 898 right now. I plan on using the 898 as a pre/pro for now but I want to get a amp in the meantime. There are so many different amps out there and I have about a 1000.00 in the budget for this. I have checked out audiogon and there are just so many different amps to choose from. Do I go with Adcom, Rotel, Parasound, etc. Which one would sound the best/warmest paired with the Klipsch? Thanks for your help with my journey to separates![​IMG]

2. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Bob,

I have RF3's also and I have used a Parasound HCA855A 5 channel amp with them and they sound very good. Good clarity and imaging. This amp can be had for around $400 to $450 all over the net right now. I recently got a used Carver AX705 THX certified amp and it sounds incredible with the RF3's. I am now using it to bi-amp my rf3's and power my center channel. The Parasound powers my side surrounds and rear surrounds. I use an Onkyo 797 as my pre/pro until my Outlaw 950 arrives. Adcom or Rotel are not a good match for Klipsch speakers, it would be much too bright sounding(tried them). B&k, Marantz monoblocks, and Parasound should be pretty good matches for Klipsch speakers. The Carver is great also but it is not made anymore. You could check ebay for a used one. I have tried a few different amps with the rf3's and the Carver was the best(so far). The detail is astounding. I am sure there are even better out there but they are out of my $$ range at the moment. One thing is for sure, no receivers amp section can match a good outboard amp. Won't even come close(IMHO). Good luck with your search.

Take Care,

Dalton

3. BobAlbano

BobAlbano Second Unit

Thanks Dalton, would you suggest going with a Parasound 1205A over the 855A. I have seen those on the internet for 750-800. I know that the Klipsch are really efficient speakers but I don't know how long I will be keeping them as I was going to try to get some Diva's in the next couple of months. I read somewhere that Parasound's were being discontinued. Is that correct?

4. Aslam Imran

Aslam Imran Second Unit

B&K would best go with Klipsch due to their warm tubey sound. Parasound/rotel would be the next best choice and dont even think of ATI, Adcom or Outlaw (ATI clone?). 5x125 W versions of all these brands can be had for around $1000.

5. Dalton

Dalton Screenwriter

Dalton
    Bob,

The 1205 would be a great choice. Better yet if you look around you might find the 1206 which is 6x135watts. I have seen it go for $650 to $750 on ebay. If you go with Parasound you won't be dissapointed. If you plan on getting Divas I would definetly recommend the 1205 or 1206 over the 855. The Divas aren't as efficent as the Klipsch speakers. The 855 is a great amp for the $$ and would probably be fine for the Diva 4.1's which are 6ohm speakers. If you are going with the 8ohm 5.1/6.1's then the 1205 is a better choice. Good luck Bob.

Take Care,

Dalton