Which 5 channel amp with these B&W speakers?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by ManojM, Mar 9, 2002.

1. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

I have B&W Nautilus 804 fronts, 805 rears, and a HTM2 center channel. I am wondering on what peoples thoughts are for an amp for this system. I was considering the Sunfire Cinema Grand (the 200wpc one) or the Rotel 1095 becuase of the synergy with B&Ws (the only time I have heard the Rotel was with Linn speakers, and I was not impressed, but there has been a lot of talk about synergy with B&W speakers). Any other suggestions would also be appreciated.

2. Kevin Magee

Kevin Magee Agent

A five channel Aragon 8008 will perform very well with the B&W speakers. I have a friend who is using an 8008 with some N803 with great results.

3. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

The aragon makes a lot of sense because I believe that they are the same company (in some way) as Rotel.
    I plan on buying the same mains as you in about 4-6 months (already have the HTMII matched with DM630's I got real cheap). I have a 7.1 system and was planning on the Rotel RB-1090 for mains and the RMB-1095 for surrounds, center and rear (7.1 setup). There is a great review on www.hometheaterhifi.com for the RMB-1095.
    If you are able to spend some bucks, krell is also a great match with B&W.
    Good luck.
    Marc

4. Bhagi Katbamna

Bhagi Katbamna Supporting Actor

If you have room, I would recommend a 2ch and a 3ch amplifier as it probably would have better headroom. Another possibility is to use a 5 ch amplifier that is essentially 5 monoblock amplifiers in one chassis(such as the Proceed Amp 5). Another possibility if you are contemplating EX type surround is to get a good 5 ch. amplifier(like a Parasound 1205) and a killer 2 ch. amplifier.

5. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

agree with Bhagi, I would get a 2 channel adn a 3 channel of very good quality (perhaps better than rotel)

6. Doug_B

Doug_B Screenwriter

7. Sihan Goi

Sihan Goi Second Unit

While Rotel and B&W have been said to have great synergy, IMO the Nautilus line is worthy enough to get better amps than the Rotel RMB 1095. That's not to say that the 1095 isn't a good amp...its a great amp, I have one powering my PSB Stratus Goldi's, but the B&W N804 is quite a bit better than the Stratus Goldi's that I have if I'm not wrong...

If you're dead set on multi-channel amps, you might want to look at the Cinepro, CALaudio and Sunfire multi-channel amps for power(they offer in excess of 300Wpc) or the Theta Dreadnaught, Krell KAV series, and as others pointed out, the Aragon multi channel amps for finesse. Of course there are many that I've left out...

8. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

Thanks so far for all of the suggestions. My room is not very large, in fact my listening/viewing area is very compact. Due to space constraints, it would be more difficult for me to use two amps (ie a 2channel and a 3 channel), so I would rather stay with one 5 channel amp. I am not doing EX, so the extra channels are not a concern to me. The Sunfire amp has been the leading contender so far in my mind.

9. Justin Doring

Justin Doring Screenwriter

"The aragon makes a lot of sense because I believe that they are the same company (in some way) as Rotel."

Aragon is not affiliated in any way with Rotel.

First, I would highly recommend upgrading your center to an HTM-1, as the HTM-2 only matches the N805. The HTM-1 is a far better center and matches your N804s perfectly.

The Nautilae speakers are pretty revealing, which is why I'd think about a better amp than Rotel or Sunfire. Classe' works well, as it's a bit on the warm side and will help tame the bright and forward highs of the Nautilae. Classe' makes a very reasonably priced 75x6 amp, and although the wattage seems low, it sounds better than anything you'll get from Rotel or Sunfire. The Nautilae speakers need a high-current, stable amp, more so than a high-powered one, and that is exactly what the Classe' is. If you feel you need more power, Classe' makes a 5x180, but it's significantly more expensive.

10. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

The CAV-75 is one that I have looked at before. What concerns me about this amp is the lack of balanced inputs as well as the lower wattage. I do not listen at very high levels, so high amounts of power are not necessary, but I question the headroom. Is anyone else out there using the Classe amp with Nautilus speakers? As for Aragon, I have heard excellent things about their 2 and 3 channel amps, less about the 5 channel. I would buy used, but there are also some concerns about the company being taken over by Klipsch and what that will do to the support (and future product line).

11. PomingF

PomingF Second Unit

Just came back from listening to a pair of 800 Signature driven by McIntosh amps & an 801/HTM1/804 setup by a B&K 200x7 amp I say the B&K takes care of the big B&W quite well at least in HT.

PF

12. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

manoj:

just a heads up...there are 7 aragon 8008x5 amplifiers for sale at ubid.com right now for $1849 plus shipping. however, be aware that they charge 9.99 + .99 per pound for shipping. the aragon weighs 100lbs so you're looking at about $110 for shipping. still a great deal on a $4000 retail amp.

kevin t

13. rodneyH

rodneyH Supporting Actor

poming, what did you think of the Mac/B&W combo, my dad is running B&W cdm9s, etc with 200W Mac for mains, and 100W Mac for the rears, I really like how it sounds, very smooooth sounding. What are your thoughts??

14. Scott H

Scott H Supporting Actor

15. Marc_E

Marc_E Supporting Actor

My mistake. That thought came about around 6-8 months ago when I was researching amps on the net and checking company web pages. I remember there was a connection between two amp companies and thought it was Aragon and Rotel, but it was Aragon and Acurus as you all have pointed out.

Sorry.

Marc

16. Mark C.

Mark C. Supporting Actor

I run my Nautilus 804s with the Classe CAP-101, a 100w per channel integrated. This is strictly a two-channel system for music, and I can tell you that the old argument holds true:

It's not the amount of power that matters, it's the quality of that power. The 101 drives the Nautilus 804s with ease, so I can't imagine the CAV-75 having any difficulties, despite the lower wattage.

17. Larry B

Larry B Screenwriter

ManojM:

I agree with the other posters in that the Rotel is not at the level of the 804's. However, I do have two questions for you:

1. What percentage of your usage is to music? The higher this number, the more significant it will be for you to get a better amp.

2. What kind of preamp do you use? Again, the main issue is music. If you use a separate 2-channel preamp for music, there is greater impetus for you to get a better amp.

Larry

18. ManojM

ManojM Stunt Coordinator

My percentage music/HT is 50/50. I live in a condo, so I only have one system. My current pre-amp is the Adcom GTP-830, but I am planning to probably get the Anthem AVM-20.

Mark, I appreciate the input. That makes me feel a little better about the Classe.

Although the Sunfire gets great reviews, many on the forums don't seem to take this amp as seriously, or seem to place others in its class above it. Why is this?

19. Frank_S

Frank_S Supporting Actor

My recommendation is in line with prior responses in regards to separate 2ch. and 3ch. amps. I own N804's and listen 80/20% music. My amps are Aragon 8008BB and 8008x3.
    Their build quality is excellent and deliver the goods in spades. I listen mostly to music(2 ch)so the choice for separate amps made sense, why have a brute 5 channel amp running when you only use 2 channels most of the time?
    You stated that you did'nt have much room but a quality 5 channel amp is huge and takes 2 people to move. Sure my Aragons weigh 150 lbs. combined(their 5-channel weighs 105lbs.) but I can, with some effort move them by myself. Anyway, good luck![​IMG]
    Justin said,
    "First, I would highly recommend upgrading your center to an HTM-1, as the HTM-2 only matches the N805."
    I don't agree with that statement, I use the HTM-2 with my N804's and it integrates fine. In a small room it does the job,however if I had a large room I would consider purchasing the HTM-1. Also, Manjo stated that his room was not very large so the $1,000 he saves on the upgrade could go towards his amp(s), just my opinion. [​IMG]

20. EricT

EricT Auditioning

I find myself in a very similar situation, except I have only the n804's, no center for now and an old pair of def tech's for the rear(2 channel is most important). I am very close to getting the AVM20 and a Classé, Bryston or Aragon. I may also just wait to see the new Stage One and amps from Aragon. Would one classify the Aragon amps as "warm", as has been said about the Classé?