Which 5.1 Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Rajeev_s, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

I have these options for get a 5.1 speaker set up. I want to keep my costs low and also get the best sounding, Which one would you suggest.

1. Energy Take 5.1 or 5.2 $500-600
    2. Polk Audio RM 6700. $600 at CC, no SUB
    3. Dahlquist Orbit 5.1 - $455 with Sub
    4. Infinity HTS 20, $599 at CC, with Sub
    5. Klipsch Quintet - $300, no Sub, what do you guys think about quintet
    6. Accoustic Research HC6 $400, With Sub

Any other Models or Make can be considered.

If you have any other suggestion for a hand picked system.

And what would be a good sub for a tight budget ?

Your help is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks Guys

2. Andy Sz

Andy Sz Extra

Have you taken a look at the Middies from www.hometheaterdirect.com?

I just ordered mine and should have them Monday. I've read from others on this site that they are a very good set for 499.00......

3. Rajeev_s

Rajeev_s Stunt Coordinator

Let me know how you like it when you get them. BTW how did you choose them over others that I mentioned ?
    Thanks for your reply.

4. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

Well I personally own the Take 5's from Energy and I absolutely love them and its always nice to see a friends jaw drop when they hear them. I listened to the quintets amongst other systems I enjoyed the Take 5's the most I found the quintets did not give as precise an image for home theater I think mainly do to the wide angle tweeters they use (I wont call them horns since they are not true horns) I've kind of lost some faith lately in Klipsch's newer stuff I like the Reference subs but thats about it anymore. The energys have a very nice sound and you have to remind yourself they are so small. They're very precise and have a very warm sound especially after a good breakin period. The sub has an excellent sound and works well with both music and movies being an 8" woofer it has a very nice transient response and has proved to have no problem with anything you throw at from the very precise bass from Stings All This Time DVD or the Eagles Hell Freezes Over DTS edition DVD to the grueling EX soundtrack on Star Wars Episode 2. Now this sub will more than fill a decent size room with ample amounts of bass but its not gonna shake you out of your seat like a Klipsh RSW-15 will though you will get a very nice feeling in your chest if you get it up and going.

5. JeremyFr

JeremyFr Supporting Actor

One last thing I'll say about the Energys is try to hear them properly setup if you can..when I auditioned mine at the Good Guys where my good friend works they had them setup on the main floor of the store and all 5 speakers were in front of you I thought they sounded fine in the store but knew they could sound better in a proper room. I did my research on them reading through many reviews etc and asked some other owners what they thought of theres and finally made my descision when I got everything home and spent about 3 hours getting it all setup (ran new wire for everything etc)my friend whom I bought it through and I fired it up and even he was surprised at how much better they sounded in my home.