Which 5.1 Music Format Do You Prefer?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ever notice that 95% of the HiRes Highway members (Audioasylum's sacd haven) constantly put down surround music? Ever checked out their systems? Usually mega-buck stereo rigs tweaked all to hell. I'll bet adding three more channels of amplification, speakers & a subwoofer scares the dog doo out of them.
I'm sure it scares the dog-doo out of their accountants and spouses!

But the rest of your commentary reeks of resentiment. There's a very large contingent of self-proclaimed audiophiles, on AA and elsewhere, that love the possibilities of surround music. Give them a DVD-A from Silverline and they'll rightly put it down, of course, but that's different than suggesting that they "put down" the very idea and promise of surround music. And to suggest that 95% of them do so is simply false in my experience. I haven't taken a census, but then I doubt you have either. But since we're defining everything in terms of percentages, I guess I disagree with you by a factor of 71% (a number I, admittedly, pulled right out of my ass).

Also, you seem to be assuming that these "mega-buck stereo rigs tweaked all to hell" don't actually sound very, very nice indeed, that somehow they're little more than chrome-plated, jewel-bedecked versions of your average home-theater-in-a-box. If you really believe that a budget Boston Acoustics surround setup with a Yammie receiver will best a two-channel system consisting of, say, VA Mahlers driven with a two-channel Halcro amp (or probably any of a gazillion comparable or more expensive setups that I haven't had the pleasure of hearing), then you're simply dreaming. There is no comparison.

In my experience, the vast majority of so called "audiophiles" are as excited as we are by the promise of surround music. But that promise has yet to be fully realized. Watch out now, for I intend to coin a phrase:

For every Chesky, there's a Silverline.

anthony_b

Screenwriter
I question when people consider themselves "audiophiles", due to the fact that music preferences,quality of recordings and detail is subjected to a single persons taste. Trying to evaluate someones taste in music is like qualifying a piece of art or maybe perfume. It's all in the eye (or ear) of the beholder. One person my think his $50/pair Yamaha speakers sound just as good as a 5k/pair B&W's. The bottom line is, it's what "you" think is good and not what a magazine reviewer or an "audiophile" thinks you should accept as a fact....stereo or surround, go for what you enjoy the most.

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Is it a moot point to set up the SACD Player's BM feature, if I am only listening to 2-channel SACDs? My sub is being utilized, but I assume it gets fed from my pre/pro?

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Cliff, I wrote up a looooong response, but it disappeared into the ether when I hit "submit reply".

Long answer short, you shouldn't be getting any signal to your sub from a two channel SACD source on your system, properly setup, unless it's low-passed (not line out) or your Lexicon does bass management in the analog realm (like an Outlaw ICBM-1). Otherwise, your pre/pro is performing a digital conversion on your DSD-derived analog signal, that is, it's downconverting it to PCM, applying bass management, and then sending it out to your speakers and sub. By doing this, you're effectively converting a high resolution signal to a "regular" resolution signal.

I don't know exactly how you have it setup (or what your Lexicon is capable of), but it sounds to me like you're not passing a pure DSD-derived signal to your speakers. Are you sure info is going to your sub? Do you have an analog bypass (or "direct through") setting you can utilize for this signal?

Cliff Olson

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, I'm sure the sub is getting a signal. I cut power to the main power amp, and the sub was putting out bass. It looks like I need to upgrade even sooner than I thought

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Yes Lexicons [MC-1 and older] digitize all incoming analog signals.Why don't you trade up? Lex has a generous program right now, check out their website.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Cliff and I have been trading emails, and indeed the Lexicon DC-1 does not have an analog bypass (stereo or otherwise). Not too surprising as Lexicon's claim-to-fame is its digital processing, and since this component predated SACD/DVD-A and the analog-only limitations built into the format. However, there's an inexpensive workaround using the Zone 2 output and a homemade switchbox that will work on Lexicon DC-1s, MC-1s, and MC-2s (just in case any Lexicon owners are searching these forums):

http://www.smr-home-theatre.org/Lexicon/mc1/bypass.html

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Macoco