Which 4x3 55" to 60" RPTV to buy.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin_R, Jul 29, 2001.

1. Kevin_R

Kevin_R Auditioning

Hey gang! I need some input. I am looking to buy a 55" to 60" RPTV. It will probably need to be a 4x3 set. As much as I would like a 16x9 set... the significant other is putting the veto on that idea. I prefer to stay away from Sony due to some bad experiences. Any insight you kind people can give would be appreciated. I will want to use my Toshiba SD5109 progressive dvd player with this set.
    Thanks,
    Kevin

2. Mark Brannan

Mark Brannan Auditioning

Kevin, That really depends on what you plan on watching what percentage of the time. I would look really hard at the 4x3 Proscan HD Ready Multimedia sets. They come in 52" and 61" sizes, and are the only sets that will play analog NTSC video without ANY line-doulbling or scaling. The only downside is they won't do anamorphic DVD; letterbox or pan and scan only. One of the major magazines recently gave the RCA version a rave review. Good luck.

3. Willy K

Willy K Auditioning

Kevin if you don't mind me asking, since you are getting a
    bigscreen, why would your significant other put the kibosh on a widescreen?

4. Kevin_R

Kevin_R Auditioning

We will be watching a lot of non-hdtv Satellite programming. I have a huge DVD collection ( 350+ titles ) and I would prefer the widescreen. My "SO" does not like the stretched image when watching regular tv.