What's new

Which 480p player for my new HDTV - Cost under $400? (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'll soon have either the 47" Panasonic HDTV (size permitting) or the 43" Hitachi HDTV (if the size didn't permit). Currently, I have a region switchable TOSHIBA SD1600, but I wish to add a progressive scan player to the mix, one that won't bust my bank.
The Panasonic DVD-RP56 ($300 retail) would be the obvious choice for the 47" Panny HDTV, but I cannot find any reviews of the deck and that may mean it still isn't released. Correct?
There is the Panasonic 480p "RP91N" which can be had for under $500 (over my budget, but it has the shirnk feature for HDTV's that lock into full with 480p signals). Link is HERE for eCost.com info.
However, I have owned 4 TOSHIBA's and all have served me well (gave my SD-3109 to my dad, still have the other two). I can get the SD-6200 duel tray 480p for just $400 from a number of retailers.
4809/HDTV is all new to me, so what should I look out for? What would the experts and 480p DVD owners recommend?
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
I'd say save a little and get the RP91. It has a better video DAC (12 Bit/54 MHz) and digital upsampling for regular CDs. Plus, the now famous scaling of non-anamorphic DVDs to pseudo anamorphic output in progressive scan mode.
Doesn't the Panasonic and the Hitachi HDTVs (hope that Hitachi is a widescreen model) lock into Full mode with 480p signals? If so, the RP91 would be the ideal player. Even the new Faroudja/Sage chipsets coming out supposidly don't have that scaling ability.
The price difference with discounts on the web is not that much more.
You're getting an HDTV so why not have a better progressive scan player?
Dan
[Edited last by Dan Hitchman on July 27, 2001 at 11:16 AM]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Dan, I am considering it. I can always play non-anamorphic DVD through my Toshiba 1600 and I'll have to play my region 2, 3 and 4 DVDs on that, so the upscale Panny isn't needed. BUT... It isn't that much more.
Is there a difference between the RP91N and the RP91?
------------------

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
I have the RP91 and recommend it too. There are no differences except cosmetic in the different letter designations.
I also just purchased a RP56 from Onecall as a gift for my brother, for about $222 plus shipping. They got them in the other day and it shipped yesterday.

Greg S

Supporting Actor
There is only one RP-91 it just comes in 2 colors, champagne and black.
Trust me the 91 is worth it. You may want to look at the RP-61 though as I believe its the same as the 91 just no DVDA and its priced under $400 I think.
Greg

Eugene Hsieh

Supporting Actor
Trust me the 91 is worth it. You may want to look at the RP-61 though as I believe its the same as the 91 just no DVDA and its priced under $400 I think.
The RP61 does support DVD-A, but it doesn't have important features like dual digital audio outputs (both coax and optical), and resizing in progressive mode.
------------------
Eugene Hsieh, VisorCentral FAQ Editor
1000 km on a tank of gas??? Check out the Prius and drive the future now!

Captain Spaulding

Second Unit
Real Name
Jay
Matt, I would suggest also taking a look at the JVC XV-S65GD. I was looking for an inexpensive way to try progressive scan and found this model available for around $250.00 everywhere. The more I use it, the more I like it.
Here is the info from the JVC web site:
This new JVC XV-S65GD introduces a new slim design for a "all-in-one" player that people are looking for. Not only does it play DVD & CD; it also plays the new MP3, CD-R and CD-RW recordable CD formats. Don't let the slim design fool you, the XV-S65GD is packed with many exciting features such as Progressive Scan Output-Digital Direct, 3-D Phonic sound, variable and slow search,zoom, digest and strobe play, angle list and resume function. Fiber optic and co-axial digital audio outputs with Dolby Digital & DTS pass-through are provided for easy connection to any system.
Compatible with DVD Video, CD CD-R/RW and Video CD
*High-bit/high-sampling (10-bit/27MHz video D/A converter
*Component Video, Composite Video, and S-Video terminals
*1-bit P.E.M. D.D. Converter with 96kHz/24-bit audio resolution
*Progressive Scan Output, "Digital Direct" that can produce the video output at twice the conventional speed to allow the direct conversion of DVD''s 24fps into progressive 60fps for display on your TV, thereby avoiding the quality disadvantages of I/P conversion.
*Glow Multi-brand remote control
*Coaxial digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS
*Optical digital outputs for PCM, Dolby Digital and DTS
*Separate construction throughout: Power supply, Digital circuitry, Analog Video and Analog Audio circuits are physically separated
*Resume (bookmark) function
*"Digest" function for visual access to desired title/chapter
*3D-Phonic for virtual surround sound
*Dynamic range (2 channel) 106 dB
*VCR-matching slim design.
*Video output
*DVD Component Video output
*S-Video Output
*1 Year Parts, 90 Days Labor Warranty
*Weight: 5lbs 13oz (2.6kg)
*Width: 17-1/4" (435mm)
*Height: 2-3/4" (68mm)
*Depth:10-5/8" (267.5mm)

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Matt,
For non-anamorphic DVDs: The difference between the Zoom feature on the 480 interlaced scan rate on those lock-on-FULL HDTV's and the Panny RP91's upscaling to anamorphic (not the same, but close) with full 480 progressive scan is quite an eye-brow raising event.
The Panny wins hands down. A BIG, BIG, BIG check goes into the positive column with this feature.
The Audio DAC's for DVD-Audio are very good too.
Dan

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dan. I'm pretty much sold. I will decide once I see my Panasonic HDTV in action with my interlaced player. I am heading over to Sears to finalize all this right now.
Me very excited!!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I can always play non-anamorphic DVD through my Toshiba 1600 ... so the upscale Panny isn't needed.
You wouldn't say that if you saw the upscale on the RP-91 in action.
It far exceeds the various stretch modes on any HDTV I've seen (I own the Elite 510HD, for reference.) Take a good non-anamorphic disc along (Armageddon, Titanic, Abyss), and marvel at the magic. :)
Todd

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks