What's new

Which 36" would you buy right now, under $1K? (1 Viewer)

Andrew_A

Auditioning
Shopping, Have heard good things about the Toshiba Cinema series, I like the Panasonic SuperFlat in 32", How is the 36"? Open to suggestions. I would like component in, NON HDTV.
Andy

Bobby T

Supporting Actor
I went through this decision 2 months ago. I wound up getting the 32" Sony Wega and have been extremely happy with it.

Richard Burzynski

Second Unit
Andrew:
As an owner of a Panasonic 36SF36, I can tell you 2 things:
(1) Picture quality is amazing: Colors, black level, detail, you name it.
(2) QC SUCKS! And so does Panasonic Customer Support.
If you want to chance it, try to find a 36SF37 (more current 36" super flat model). It should be closed out soon - if not already for under $1000. Just try to find a dealer that will take back a lemon - there are ALOT of them - go to www.audioreview.com.
If not for the QC issues I would consider my set to be one of the best analog tubes I've ever seen.
A good "cheap" buy is the 36" Sharp (36LS400=Model#?). The local NJ discount chains let this set go for $599. It has a more traditional "bubble" shaped tube, but it has a nice filter and very good image. I have recommended both sets (3 of each) to various friends and relatives, and not one complaint from anyone - yet.
Good Luck.
Rich B.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
Also well worth considering are the JVC "D" series sets. I think the 32" D501 as well as the 36D201 can be had for under $1k.
These have somewhat flatter screens than the Tosh and Sharp sets.
------------------
Steve S.
I prefer not to push the subwoofers until they're properly run in.

ThomasL

Supporting Actor
Andy, for a 36 inch direct view for under $1K, your best bets are probably the JVC D series and the Toshiba A series. the JVC 36D302/36D502 and the Toshiba 36A60. JVC also has another series of "lower end" tvs - AV36260. I'm sure there are other manufacturers, such as Panasonic - the CT36D11? that have a 36 inch set for under $1K.
good luck,
--tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks