Which 34" TV is the best?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Allan Mack, Jan 21, 2002.

1. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

I'm currently looking at three 34" HDTVs, all prices Canadian:

Sony KD-34XBR2 ($6999)

Panasonic CT-34WX50 ($4499)

Toshiba 34HF81C ($2999)

I know the Sony is more expensive because it has a built-in HDTV tuner, but why is the Toshiba one so cheap compared to the Panasonic?

I'm familiar with the quality of Sony TVs, but how is the quality of Panasonic and Toshiba TVs? There is no store which carries all three, so it's impossible to compare them.

Which of these three has the best picture quality with DVDs? Is anyone familiar with any of these sets?

2. JasonRH

JasonRH Second Unit

Allan, I auditioned the toshiba set at one store and it looked great, except it suffered some serious geometry problems and the convergence wasn't so hot when tested via an AVIA dot pattern. The value of the set for that price is undeniable though. I don't like like the fact that it upconverts all signals to 540p, since that may introduce noticeable artifacts. Micheal TLV mentioned that the conversion has a bad effect on the viewing of High Def material (I think you had posted that, Micheal, sorry if I'm wrong about that[​IMG]
    Honestly, if you can find one with acceptable geometry I would say the tosh is your best bet, based on price/performance alone.

3. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    I am also looking at those two TV's. The Pani and the Tosh. I can get the Pani for about $2500 and the Tosh for a few hundred less. Which will provide the best picture?
    Toshiba
    Panasonic

4. Allan Mack

Allan Mack Supporting Actor

Thanks for the replies. I guess the Panasonic is more expensive than the Toshiba because it has a better overall picture.

Is the price of the Sony justified over the Pansonic?