Which 27" Flat Screen to buy?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Dave Bennett, Feb 6, 2002.

1. Dave Bennett

Dave Bennett Screenwriter

I've currently got a 27" Sony regular trinitron that I am going to return for a slanted picture and a lack of features. I was up until very recently set on gettin the KV27F13 but I've been reading alot about problems and reliability issues. I'm now thinking I might get the Samsung TXL-2791(the Tau is immediately disqualified as I don't wanna use the service menu to do 16x9). Does anyone have any experience with Samsung flat TVs other than Joel in the other thread(who's had his for a few days?) I couldn't find reviews anywhere and I want to make sure this set is a quality one and has the features I need. Thanks for any help.

2. Ron Shaw

Ron Shaw Stunt Coordinator

I think the reliability issues have been overblown. It may be that because the Sony Wegas are so popular, they are represented far more than others, and the ones that do have problems seem to be a higher number. I dont know. But I do know that my 27" Wega looks great, and has been trouble free. Consumer reports puts Sony 27" TVs just about in the middle for reliability (approx. 6% have had problems). Samsung 27" sets are rated slighty less reliable, at about 8% having had problems. This is from about 84,000 people who responded to the surveys.

3. Dave Bennett

Ron,

Other than reliability issues, I've read far too many posts in this forum and on audioreview.com speaking of people who've gone through several sets and they al had either uneven brightness, the pink lines, or geometry problems that could not be easily corrected. I'd almost be willing to go with the Wega but my last wega (a 20") had some noticeable picture problems(blacks looked maroon in darker scenes).Also my current Sony 27" Trinitron(which I'll be returning) has a severely slanted screen even after having a tech come out to rotate the yoke. I'd be willing to look past this but the Sony warranty is only 90 days while the Samsung is one year. I definately am gonna compare the two when I go to the store tomorrow(i'll definately bump down the picture/brightness). Perhaps the problems with the Sony are overblown simply because of the volume they sell, but I'm still a bit leary. anyhow thanks for your input.

4. Steve Adams

Steve Adams Second Unit

Call me nuts, but i bought the 27" flat view from sanyo, very good for the price, nice picture, all in all a very good bargin. When i move to my new house this fall i will be getting a new projector and screen tho, good home theater......just like the theater......

5. Randy Tennison

Randy Tennison Screenwriter

Randy
    Great thread, as I dropped our older Sony 20", and now must replace it. I've been looking at the 27" Wega's, but was unsure, due to the stories I have read here!

So, what does everyone else think???

6. Arthur S

Arthur S Cinematographer

For the premium you pay for a flat screen, I think you get a lot more bang for your buck by going to a regular 32".

7. Dave Bennett

Arthur,

Space it at a premium for me. I live in a dorm room and I move in and out several times a year. A 27" flat TV makes more sense for me than beastly 32" set.

Randy,

I used to have a 20" Wega but it along with a bunch of my other electronics was stolen. I was going to get a 27" Wega but after doing a bit of research here and at audioreview.com I found out that many people are having problems with the 27" Wegas. One gentleman went through 4 of them and all had serious problems. I ended up gettin the Samsung Dynaflat 27" TV TXL2791F. It 's picture is just as good as the Wega, has hardly any geometry problems, and does the 16x9 mode. It also costs around $100 or more less than the Sony and it has a better warranty than the Sony (1 year parts and labor versus Sony's 1 year parts 90 days labor). I'm thrilled with it so far. Another person on this board ordered the service manual so it should prove to be just as tweakable as the Wega too.

8. Joel Ostrow

Joel Ostrow Agent

That would be yours truly. I only went through 2 KV-27FS13s, though one had a tech replace the yoke and then another tech who told me to get rid of the thing. I also went through 2 Panasonic Taus in the same price catagory.

The Samsung blows both away (and the Toshiba too, for that matter). It is eminently tweakable, with a much friendlier service menu than the wega once you figure it out. The automatic reset is nice (though a pain if you accidentally click it, I think). It may even be possible to activate a PiP in the service menu, but we'll see about that.

Watched the Olympic skating last night. I looked for pink bars on the edges and saw NONE. The WEGA picture even with subbrightness and color turned down and purity tweaked by a tech was unbearable for hockey or skating because of those blasted bars.

So far, for me, when I calibrate with the S&V Home Theater Tune-UP (identical to Avia for 1/3 the price -- all items have the Avia logo) the picture looks great in the test but then when watching shows often looks too dark. So I'm still playing with that. Another forum has suggestions for adjusting the values in service menu and watching the "standard" mode, based on a calibration with Avia. Those settings are:

subbrightness 134 to 124

subcontract 45 to 31

sub color 50 to 36

sub tint 40 to 48

I have not tried these on mine yet, but I may. I've just adjusted in the regular menu.

I definitely recommend a long warranty on ANY of these flat screens from what I've seen. My wife is shocked that I haven't bailed and just gotten a regular set. Fortunately, this Samsung makes it all worth it.

And, the sound is superb. I know most here use stereo speakers, but for our purposes, these speakers rock. Twice last night we were convinced our son was crying in bed, and it turned out to be a baby in the extreme background of the show we were watching!

Me, I can't understand why anyone buys a WEGA (and those who may tout the XBR series are trying to rationalize their absurd expenditure -- my dad has one, a 36 inch that must be around $2K, and the geometry problems made me dizzy.)