Which 19" LCD Monitor?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Dan Driscoll, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Dan Driscoll

Dan Driscoll Supporting Actor

Hard limit of $300. Must have DVI and sub 16ms response time. Pivot, speakers, USB hub would be nice, but aren't necessary. Primary usage will be websurfing, home office, maybe a little photo editing and occasional gaming, but nothing on-line and no FPS games.

The Viewsonic VP191b with the 8ms MVA panel would be great, but it costs $450. A couple that are in my price range and meet the minimum requirements are the Acer 1914smd and the Princeton LCD1950. Both have 12ms TN panels, with DVI and they cost almost the same. In fact, the specs are so similar they may be the same panel, just with different electronics and case.

I've googled both and found lots of places selling them, but almost no reviews, professional or user. Comments from anyone who has or has used either or both would be appreciated. Or if you've had good/bad experiences with Acer or Princeton customer service, that would be good info, also. Suggestions for other 19" monitors w/DVI, sub 16ms rt and under $300 would also be appreciated. TIA

2. Scott L

Scott L Producer

The model you mentioned, Viewsonic VP191b has one of the best LCD panels around at the moment which is the AU Optronics MVA 8 ms panel. Excellent response time without sacrificing color reproduction. But like you said, it costs tad more than your average 19".

I'd personally stick with Viewsonic. Always produce great colors, even in their lower models.

Here are some you might be interested in:

VX724
    VA912b (except 20ms respnse time)
    VA902b (except no DVI input)

I still use a humble VA520 which is about 2 years old. It's been hit hard on the screen & case, dropped, and still looks just as great as day 1 with no dead or stuck pixels.

3. Ray Chuang

Ray Chuang Screenwriter

Too bad you're just under the price range for the excellent Samsung SyncMaster 930B. My brother uses one and at its 1280x1024 native resolution, the sharpness and color accuracy are hard to beat. [​IMG] Also, because its response time is only 8 milliseconds the 930B works well with games and DVD playback. [​IMG]

4. Dan Driscoll

I think I'll be going with the Princeton, mainly because of their dead pixel policy. Princeton will replace the monitor if there are any dead or stuck pixels in the in the first 30 days. After that 3 bad pixels, anywhere on the screen will get a replacement, for the balance of the warranty period.

The Acer policy is much less generous. They divide the screen into 9 squares, like a tic-tac-toe board. One dead or stuck pixel in the center will get a replacement, but in any of the other sections there have to be 4 bad pixels before they will replace it.

5. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

but if you buy it from a b&m store ... they all have a 30 day return policy as well. i definitely wouldn't consider that a factor in purchasing the thing. heck, doesn't every retail place have a 30-day return policy anyway? not sure...

i agree that the viewsonics and samsungs are excellent choices. i have a 23" hp one myself, but i got an excellent deal on it.

6. Dan Driscoll

I don't know about the Samsungs, I haven't seen too many of them. But I do agree about Viewsonic and the VP191b would be my choice. Unfortunately, the 191b is well out of my price range and Viewsonic doesn't make any monitors that meet my requirements and do fall within my budget.