What's new

Where's the UNDER SIEGE reviews? (1 Viewer)

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I watched it on Blu last night. It looked real nice to me. I imagine it's about the same for HD-DVD. That's been my previous experience with Warner VC1 stuff. I like my Panasonic player so much that I may shift some of my Warner purchases to Blu...? This disc made me feel comfortable with that idea.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor

I think the 'new' unit you're referring to is a firmware-patched Samsung, not the Panasonic.

DavidDTS

Agent
Real Name
David

Watched the HD version last night..........looked AMAZING......did not expect it to look and sound as good as it did.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy

The Samsung has not come back yet. I'm gonna squeez it into my "little" system when it does. I wish they'd e-mail and tell me something. I hope they at very least do notify me when they ship back. Surely that's gonna be soon. The Panasonic has kept me occupied lately. So, I'm really not missing Sammy too much.

I've definitely changed my mind about a bunch of early MPEG2 titles. I haven't replayed all of 'em yet, in whole. When I sampled a bunch of stuff the first day, it was evident that the value of the cards had changed. Some of those early ones stille look bad with reduced noise. There's something wrong the colour of Lord Of War. Less noise doesn't change that. The Punisher stille looks devoid of detail but the sheets of noise are greatly reduced. 50 First Dates went from looking foggy, for lack of a better disciption, to looking purr-dy good. It doesn't look as good as the HD-DVD of Happy Gilmore though. Well, all films are not created equal.... 50 First Dates didn't go to refrence, hardly, but it's now watchble.

I have T1 & T2 set to be a double feature sometime soon. I thought the Samsung rendered T1 too dark. I'm curious how the Panny is gonna handle it??? Samples of T2 with DTS employed were hunky dory.

Stargate improved alot too. It's an uneven looking movie and HD lays that on the table very plainly. The massive noise that the Samsung displayed is gone. The good parts look very good and the bad shots look grain-y and weak. The subtitles for when they're speakin' "E-gyp-tian" or whatever it is are gone in this "extended cut", BAD! Shoot, I've seen this stupid movie so many times I can lip sync most of it. However, what about folks who are being introduced to the film? They need the bloody sub's! The only way to get them is to turn on the regular sub's. Brilliant! Not! The disc looks better but this release has serious shortcomings. Give it about 2 years and the Electric Director's Remix will come out....with some small improvements. In five years the Messy Bits Super, double cheese, Director's Master Cut And Unrated Aliens Gone Wild Edition comes out. I know I can't wait....

It's a mixed bag......so far.....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks