"Where's the rest of me?!" - Kings Row on dvd soon?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Alistair_M, Jul 24, 2003.

1. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Although known as Ronald Regan's best movie performance, I think this Kings Row (1942) is a true classic and has a facinating story about madness and holding on to secrets in small town america. Its also got a superb score by Korngold.

I think its a Warner film but I don't think anyone mentioned a dvd release to them in their HTF chat.

Hope it will be released soon.

2. Nathan_R

Nathan_R Supporting Actor

"Cassie!" Indeed-- fascinating movie. We need this one soon.

Robert Cummings-- the best actor in Hollywood with only one facial expression.

Best regards,
    ~~Nathan

3. Paul Drake

Paul Drake Stunt Coordinator

I've been thinking of starting this thread, but hadn't gotten around to it.

This is truly a classic all the way around. Claude Rains, Ann Sheridan, and Ronald Reagan, all gave excellent performances. There is very little about this film I don't like. I'm surprised TCM doesn't run it more often.

I'd definitely buy this one. Somehow I've got a feeling it'll be on the shelves within the next 18 months if only because Warners has committed to showcasing their catalog. The only thing I could think would be a problem is if some sort of restoration was needed. Although it's been awhile since I've seen the film, I don't remember any major problems.

4. Randy A Salas

Randy A Salas Screenwriter

One of the best film scores ever written, by Erich Korngold. (Just ask John Williams.) It would be swell to have it on an isolated track on DVD. While there was an outstanding re-recording of it (two suites) by Charles Gerhardt on a Varese Sarabande CD, I don't believe the complete original recording as used in the film has ever been released.

5. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Any more news on this classic?

6. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Marvelous film- but read the book!!! Henry Bellamann's novel is indeed one of the best books I have ever read- I couldn't put it down, and it is truly the inspiration to Grace Metalious' Peyton Place a decade later (she must have read the book!).

The film tells only half the story- there's euthanasia, interracial love, homosexuality, bigotry, incest, suicide, embezzelment, medical malpractice- and it's all in the book!! This is an American clasic that should be rediscovered and put into Oprah's Book Club. If Peter Jackson, Steven Speilberg or Francis Coppola is reading this, do an epic remake for the screen or an HBO miniseries!

7. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

Nice post Charles. I think I will try and read it. I did a search on ebay and there isn't a copy in the UK. I'll keep looking. Thanks for the suggestion - I think I'd love to read this one.

It always a good idea to read the novels of great films - I remember reading A Tree Grows in Brooklyn (one of my favorite films) and was amazed how much more story there was in the book. If you get the chance I'd recommend Betty Smiths book to you in return for your suggestion on Kings Row. [​IMG]

8. Steve...O

Steve...O Producer

Steve
    Randy Salas indicated on another message board back in January:

9. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

The Book of kings Row is certainly racy, which caused a lot of problems between Jack Warner and the Censors in bringing the film to the screen. There is also a sequel, Parris Mithcell of Kings Row. I like the book.
    however, I think the film of Peyton Place is far better than the book, which I thought was just awful.

10. Alistair_M

Alistair_M Second Unit

from Davis DVD news item today

Kings Row will be released on August 15th
    (according to the davis dvd news item it will be available on its own or part of a Ronald Regan boxset)

Finally!!

Thanks Warners.

11. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick

12. JohnPM

JohnPM Second Unit

Great news about "King's Row" and the other Reagan shows. I wonder if "Knute Rockne" will contain the famous "gipper" speech in the locker room that had to left out of syndicated prints for so many years because of a rights snafu?

http://greenbriarpictureshows.blogspot.com/

13. Charles Ellis

Charles Ellis Screenwriter

Of course it will be included- it's shown on TCM!