Where's the love for Pikmin?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DaveF, Nov 20, 2002.

1. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    I certainly don't keep up with the latest/greatest, but I'm surprised to see so few comments on "Pikmin" for the Gamecube (I did a search even!).
    I bought Pikmin from Blockbuster (used copy, $17 [​IMG]) this weekend -- to enjoy on my equally new TV -- and found this game great! It's got that wonderful mixture of serious and cartoony that infuses the Mario games and "Jet Force Gemini." The puzzles are enjoyable, can be approached in different ways, and aren't very difficult.(I get all the frustration I can handle from Rogue Leader).
    I'm near Day 10 with about 10 parts found. I've got healthy populations of reds, yellows, and blues -- they proudly march into danger behind me by the hundred. But I do feel bad when I poorly execute an attack against a giant Bulborb and my little legions get munched up (so many blue spirits!)and I always feel sorry when I accidentally leave some behind at night [​IMG].
    If you've not played Pikmin and enjoy puzzle or strategy games even a little bit, I highly recommend it. It's great fun, original and very fresh.

2. Eric C. Mylonas

Eric C. Mylonas Stunt Coordinator

There'd probably be more love if it wasn't nearly a year old [​IMG]

3. Tom Rhea

Tom Rhea Second Unit

I just bought a gamecube last week, and am seriously looking forward to picking up Pikmin -- it looks/sounds extraordinary. I would have bought it with the console, but it had to take a backseat to Mario Sunshine, R. Evil and Eternal Darkness.

4. Jason Borchers

Jason Borchers Second Unit

Pikmin is great, and definitely worth owning. It was one of the first GameCube games I picked up.

I haven't played it in a while, though. The game gets a lot more difficult later on, and I couldn't get make any more progress after day 21 or so.

I'll go back to it some day; I'm sure I can beat it if I set my mind to it. I just wasn't patient enough to stick with it.

5. Hanson

Hanson Producer

Hanson
    It's a really good but not great game. For one thing, it is way too short. I felt like it could use 5 or 10 more levels.

I also felt like it didn't have enough moments where you can't believe how clever the game is. I always consider a great game the kind that makes me stop and wonder, "how the hell did they think of that? These designers are geniuses!" SMS makes me feels that way. Pikmin did not.

Hanson

6. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Pikmin certainly had potential, and I'd really like to see a sequel that takes the concept one step further. The last level of the game really shows you what they could have done, and more levels like that would certainly have been welcome. Also, I think that less of an emphasis on pikmin combat and more on puzzles would have made the game more interesting, since the pikmin were tough to direct in a complex battle (see final boss), and simple combat just got boring after a while.

7. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

I loved Pikmin, and a friend of mine got it for Christmas but didn't play it for a while and fell in love when he did play it. I might go play it again (needed to make space on old 59 mem card for Mario, so my Pikmin save was the victim).

I might finish this game over an upcoming break.

8. Andre F

Andre F Screenwriter

I liked Pikmin a lot but had other games to play at the time. I hope to get back to it someday. Right now I'm too busy my Metroid Prime!!! [​IMG]

9. DonRoeber

DonRoeber Screenwriter

I loved Pikmin, but it was way too short, and has no replay value. I got all the parts, what's left to do?
    But hey, at least I got the trophy in Smash Brothers [​IMG]

10. Iain Lambert

Iain Lambert Screenwriter

I keep hearing criticism that the game is too short. If so, can someone explain that to my wife? We've had a cube since about a week after the UK launch, but she's still stuck about 23 parts in, and I'm trying not to play it until she finishes it. It looks really cool as well.

11. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer

12. Adam Nixon

Adam Nixon Second Unit

There's been talk of a Pikmin 2, from none other than Miyamoto himself -- I think I read this on IGN. I loved the first one, and imagine that a second could sell the concept even better. It's really the only console RTS I can think of that truly worked.

13. Morgan Jolley

Morgan Jolley Lead Actor

Didn't they start production on Pikmin 2 right after Pikmin 1 came out in America?