What's new

Where's THE HUNGER? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I can tell you right now that MGM won't be releasing it.

That's because they don't own it anymore. "The Hunger" was acquired as part of the pre-1986 MGM library by Turner, which was bought by Time Warner in the mid-90s.

It's Warner you want to talk to, not MGM.

Thank goodness, too...Your chances of an OAR release go up exponentially with Warner Brothers.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Bela Lugosi's dead.

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
Anyone wanting to catch this cool flick can see it on the big screen on October 19 as part of a 24 hour Horror marathon called Nightmare at Studio 35 in Columbus, OH.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
MGM, despite their recent forays into P&S only, have an excellent record of releasing their horror genre titles in OAR, uncut, which is more than you'd ever say for Warner. I don't hold out much hope for a Warner disc of The Hunger, and certainly don't expect it to have any extras, but I'm prepared to be surprised. Maybe about the time we see an uncut The Devils....

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Well, this film was just released by WB at a $14.99 price, and while it seems like a "bare bones" DVD, actually it features a commentary track with Tony Scott and Susan Sarandon. And, the film is widescreen!

Thanks Warner Bros!

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
I got this disc at BB on Tuesday, featured right in the front of the store sitting next to Fahrenheit 9/11.

The transfer is immaculate, the commentary is great, the packaging is an elegant presentation of original key art elements (in a sturdy keepcase!), and I'm delighted that Warners has given us yet another superb release.

I also picked up FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS, the 3 IT'S ALIVE movies and HE KNOWS YOU'RE ALONE, but haven't had time to watch them yet.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
The transfer is truly impressive, particularly given the difficulties of the source material (lots of tricky lighting, a kind of "textured" look that must have been a challenge for the compressionist). The soundtrack, which is mono but features very sophisticated editing, is a bit harsh, and I found it uncomfortable to listen to at high volume. I suspect that remixing the sound would be a major undertaking (assuming the elements survived), and this DVD isn't likely to sell a lot of copies, even with the explicit love scene between Sarandon and Deneuve (did I just sell a few more? :) ).
I was struck again by the degree to which the film departs from the traditional vampire movie, and not just because these vampires can survive the sunlight. The real horror in this movie isn't blood-sucking; it's the fear of aging. That makes this a quintessential 80s film.
M.

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
I wish they could dig up the uncut (or un-stylistically edited) finale Makeup FX by Dick Smith as an extra, he spent a lot of time coming up with the unique effect of Deneuve disintegrating
and was rather upset that they essentially cut it out with the editing.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Im having a really hard time resisting going and picking this one up :frowning:

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Picked it up. Its been forever since Ive seen it. Gonna watch it tonight.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BTW, fans of Tony Scott's True Romance will appreciate the irony of the musical selection that Deneuve's character plays on the piano during the seduction scene. It's the same music used during the famous scene between Christopher Walken and Dennis Hopper ten years later.

M.

Tim-H.

Second Unit
Real Name
Tim-H
Boy, this transfer looks great. Deneuve, Sarandon, dust motes, doves - what's not to like? Looking forward to the commentary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks