What's new

Where's THE HUNGER? (1 Viewer)

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I speak of the erotic horror movie "The Hunger", of course. On DVDFile's Studio Day 2001 report, they said MGM would be producing an SE of "The Hunger". That puzzled me, because all the VHS copies I see have a Turner logo on them, and "Hunger" was made in 1983. That would mean that Warner is more likely to do an SE of this film. So, which studio has the rights?

Sincerely,

John "My VHS copy broke upon putting it in the VCR" Kilduff

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Good question. MGM doesn't have it, according to the last chat we did with them. I'm looking forward to Bowie's performance, yeah, that's it. :)

David Lee

Stunt Coordinator
I own the widescreen laserdisc which was indeed put out by MGM. The last time I checked amazon was still selling VHS copies which were also put out by MGM. This is a title I wish Anchor Bay could get their hands on. Gotta love the opening with Peter Murphy.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'm pretty sure this was one of those titles they lost the rights to, but to who, I don't know.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I suspect that, like so many MGM titles, this one now belongs to Warner Bros.

Eric Ansley

Auditioning
The Hunger is one of my top 10 "Desert Island" movies, and It seems like I have been waiting forever and a day for a DVD release.( I can't even watch my horrible Pan and Scan VHS release from 10 years ago now. It hurts my eyes) Does Anyone out there know what's going on with it? It seems like for the past two years I keep hearing it's coming "Soon" from the Studio Day reports, but like I said, I've been hearing that one for awhile now. Last year I even heard there would be a Special Edition. I'm curious if MGM even owns it anymore...It's not listed on their website, and I've read that Warners owns all MGM Produced movies Pre- 1986 or so.(IF Warners owns it, I should not hold my breath) So I'm confused. Can someone shed somelight please? Thanks.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Warner Brothers definately controls The Hunger these days. No word on a release. But this is a studio with a HUGE catalog of titles, which leads to the oft-said complaint around here about how slow they are to get things out. They're really not...they just have a lot to do! :)
Having said that, let me say that I desperately want this fine film as well! Cool flick! :emoji_thumbsup:

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
There's a legitimate VCD release in Singapore,
but I dont know if it is letterboxed or not (or if the subs are in the black bar space).

Martin S

Stunt Coordinator
What's happening with this title, anyone know? I kind of thought it was meant to be getting a release at some point.
The fact that it spawned a TV series should show that it was popular.
Great film, although i know it has it's critics.
Sure hope it gets a good release soon and hopefully a stereo one. I've never seen this in anything other than a mono print.
Anyone know if it originally had a stereo soundtrack.The music and sound effects really make the mood in this one.

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
I was under the impression this was coming out this
fall, but I have heard NOTHING for the longest time about
it.
With MGM cranking out titles, you would think a
cult classic like this should be on the way.
I believe it was www.dvdfile.com or www.dvdreview.com
that even had a piece called, "Where is The Hunger?" over a year ago.
Also, Whitley Streiber wrote the sequel to his original
book (which was, admittedly, a bit different than the film),
but that book came out more than a year ago now, too.
I hate to think I am stuck watching my widescreen
VHS for yet another autumn (which is ususally when I
watch this film).
Mark

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
At one point digitalbits was reporting that MGM had this in their fall lineup, but MGM says they don't own it.

Eric Ansley

Auditioning
The Hunger is easily at the top of my most wanted DVDs list. It seems that every time MGM did a chat here, they made some noise that "it's coming". And now, it seems they don't own it after all (?) Does this mean Warners owns it? Cuz' if they do, I have a feeling it will be a looooooong time before we see it. At least MGM seems to do right by their Cult films, and often give them decent Special Editions. If Warners ever even does it, we'll be lucky to get any extras at all. Still, more than anything, I just really want the movie in any form. I really hope to see this one before I'm 80. But I'm not holding my breath *sigh*

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Does MGM have the world-wide rights? If not, some R2 company is bound to issue a DVD sooner or later.

Ted

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
About that sequel book out last October by Strieber, The Last Vampire? There's a funny little story about this.

The book - which was good by the way, but read more like a screenplay than a book - was going to be a film, telling the continuing story of Miriam Blaylock, but then it was discovered by the studio's legal department that the rights to the CHARACTER of Miriam was still held by MGM, even though that film (The Hunger) was from 1981 and was a different story.

So Strieber had to go and write another sequel, this time using new characters, so there won't be any rights conflicts.

Must have been quite a dissapointment for him (and for us - it could have been a good film, very Luc Besson-like in the first half).

Steven Good

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Steven
There's a used widescreen laserdisc of this film sitting in a milk crate at my local comic/movie shop for $8.00. I've picked it up and put it back several times...I always seem to find other things to pick up instead. Sure would make a great DVD-R....

ah, but I already have a backlog of titles to burn first.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I recently saw the VHS version of this at Media Play and was thinking how its been about 10 years since Ive seen it.

I almost bought it.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Aahh...Tony Scott before he sold his soul to Bruckheimer and Simpson. [Mr.Burns]Excellent.[/Mr.Burns]

Len Simons

Agent
"The Hunger" -one of my favorite films of the 80's is sorely missing from MGM's DVD catalog.
Anyone know why? Or when it can be expected?
Susan Sarandon and Catherine Deneuve - what more could one ask?

Len

"There's a crack in everything, that's how the light gets in."
-Leonard Cohen

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks