What's new

Where's the bass? (1 Viewer)

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Actually, there's a lot of bass, but mainly right around the speakers(front left and right). No sub yet. If you stand near the speakers, the bass is DEEP and impressive, but at the listening position on the sofa, it is greatly attenuated. Just moved into this house, but had pretty much the same situation at my last house. All the bass seems to stay near the speakers. These are Legacy Signature II speakers with three ten inch woofers on each speaker and extend to 20hz. They are not a ported design, BTW.

The speakers are about one foot away from the back wall; I don't think I can move them out any further, and if I move them closer to the wall, I am afraid I will lose my imaging in the mids and highs.

Any tips on how to get the bass out into the middle of the room?

Your new room acoustic signature is killing it. Is your room exactly square or are the side walls even multiples of the front? One way to find the bass is to place your subwoofer or one of your speakers in the listening position. Then walk around the room a listen (use a Radio Shack SPM) for the best base response. This is where you want to place you subwoofer. Probably be inconvenient to place one of your main speakers there.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
The room is pretty much square, but I should also say the room is open to the breakfast area and the kitchen. There is no way to close it off. If you're in the kitchen while there is a lot of bass going on, you get a lot more of the bass than in the family room where the sofa is.

Oh well, there may not be much I can do, aside from getting a sub.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
Well, it appears that there is definitely a "null" area exactly where my sofa is located. If I get behind the sofa against the back wall of the room, there's the bass! Unfortunately, I can't really put the sofa back there in this family room. Is there any chance moving the towers closer together(I have them spread out right now to widen the soundstage) would move that null area?

Thanks

Mark Guidry

Stunt Coordinator
I have a simaler problem...I have a room that is just for the HT set up but it was sorta a make shift one. Its a room that the walls go up about 4 feet and the angle in like an A. The dont go all the way up into a point...it gets flat like a normal celing but its only a few feet wide. There are also 2 dormer windows...so even with my sub in the sweet spot on the couch there is little bass but if you poke your head into one of the dormer windows your ears start to hurt cuz thats where all the bass is. I am guessing it is because of the wall design but does anyone have any solution to this?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Should be easy to fix. Put the sub right where the couch is and walk around the wall areas that you would be ok putting the sub to find where the bass is strongest. Then put the sub there - this will minimize cancellation from the room. I have the same problem, and had to move the sub around to find a spot where the null at least wasn't right where my couch is.

MTrotter

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
One thing I forgot to mention: I don't have a sub yet. I have the decoder set for "no sub". I need to find out the best position for my front L,R speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks