What's new

where's the 5.1? (1 Viewer)

Andre Ramirez

Auditioning
I recently went to my local Sam's club and picked up "The Abyss" special edition THX wide screen for $13.99. On the back it states English 5.1 Dolby surround and English Dolby surround. I pop the disk in pick special edition and the audio setting and no 5.1 option only pro-logic. I flip back to the menu and picked the theatrical edition and audio option and again no 5.1 only pro-logic. I have check other web sites (Amazon, DVDempire etc ...) to verify and they all say 5.1 Dolby and pro-logic. Did I pick up a bad disk or am I going crazy? Thanks in advance for any info.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
What are the exact words that appear when you select "Audio Options" for either the theatrical or the special edition?
(It should be: "2.0 Dolby Surround" and "5.1 Dolby Surround". Each should appear under a separate speaker horn, and there should be two wall diagrams, one with the words "Lt-Rt" in the center and the other with the word "LFE" in the center.)
M.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
There are some versions that do not include the 5.1 DD despite saying so on the package. I think those that include the French language track DO NOT have English 5.1. If your DVD includes a French language track, likely you do not have the DD 5.1.

I have the 2-disc SE, and mine has DD 5.1 but not the French language track.

Andre Ramirez

Auditioning
when i am in the audio option the 2 choices are English Dolby and French Dolby, no 5.1 option. the diagrams on the wall are picture of pro-logic setup, they show LT-RT and no LFE.

Hey Malcolm, is this a error on FOX home video? Did they release some in the wrong region or something?

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Andre,

If you have the French Dolby option, then you do not have English 5.1 on your disc (as you can see from your menu choices).

Not sure who's to blame, Fox or the manufacturer. However, I know there've been a several people here at HTF and on other boards talking about the mistake in the specs. If you want DD 5.1, you have to find the version WITHOUT the French language track. I'd say return it as defective since it does not include the audio options stated on the package and see if you can exchange it for the non-French version.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
You got a Canadian copy, that's the problem. There wasn't enough room for 3 audio tracks, so they went with different versions for diff countries

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Blame Canada!

(I really do support using subtitles-only for most releases, extra dub tracks should only be included if they don't compromise picture quality or eliminate extras).

Jeff

Supporting Actor
That version was rare, even up here. Well, in the english speaking part of the country anyway.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
The 5.1 track on these titles has a mono surround channel does it not? (4.1 in reality)?

Benson R

Supporting Actor
I haven't watched this in a while but I remember finding the way they highlighted the audio selections to be unclear. I thought I was selecting 5.1 but was selecting the dolby surround. I am sure this is what you are doing wrong so try switching the highlighted options. Since there are only two options it is not easy to decipher which color means that option is selected.

Brendon

Second Unit
Neil,

The two rear channels are identical on this title, in effect being a 4.1 mix as you say.

THX post processing (should you have it) decorrelates the two quite nicely, brings a little more "spatiality" to the soundfield.

Cheers,

Brendon

I haven't watched this in a while but I remember finding the way they highlighted the audio selections to be unclear.
I've got the version w/the French track on it. So there simply isn't a choice for 5.1 audio. The only choices are French and English, both 2.0.

Malcolm made reference to the 2-disc SE being O.K. Does anyone know if there is such a thing as the 1 disc version that has the 5.1 audio on it or do all 1 disc versions have the French instead of the 5.1?

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
Well, I got the pro-logic + French version in my Independence Day/Abyss two-pack. Great price from DDD, but the box for Abyss DOES say 5.1. So who can I exchange this with? To me it sounds like Fox is the culprit for mislabeling.

Anyone had any luck exchanging or otherwise bothering them to live up to their packaging?

Thanks, Dan

Jon Smith

Stunt Coordinator
thats strange, im pretty sure mine is Canadian, since the supplier ships from Canada.

but mine definately has 5.1 audio, not sure about French though (dont have the DVD with me).

hmm or i could just have the US version.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks