What's new

where's ida? (1 Viewer)

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
anyone know if there are plans for an ida lupino collection, anytime,anywhere?
i can think of about five right off the bat that would make a great box set.
think there would be enough sales for the studio to put this out?

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
I'd buy a WB Ida Lupino Signature Collection set, easily, especially if it contained:

SEA DEVILS (1937) / FIGHT FOR YOUR LADY (1937)
OUT OF THE FOG (1941)
THE HARD WAY (1942)
IN OUR TIME (1944)
PILLOW TO POST (1945)
DEVOTION (1946)
THE MAN I LOVE (1946)
DEEP VALLEY (1947)
ESCAPE ME NEVER (1947)

--although OUT OF THE FOG, THE MAN I LOVE and perhaps DEEP VALLEY could just as easily make it into Warner's ongoing "Film Noir" collections. And ESCAPE ME NEVER could just as well make it into another Errol Flynn set.

Universal could put out an Ida Lupino collection of their own:

ONE RAINY AFTERNOON (1936)
YOURS FOR THE ASKING (1936)
ARTISTS AND MODELS (1937)
THE LIGHT THAT FAILED (1939)
WOMAN IN HIDING (1950)

As could Sony/Columbia:

LET'S GET MARRIED (1937)
THE LONE WOLF SPY HUNT (1939)
THE LADY & THE MOB (1939)
LADIES IN RETIREMENT (1941)
WOMEN'S PRISON (1955)

Fox could, too (though two would be appropriate for Fox's "noir" series, the other could be a "Studio Classic" stand-alone title):

LIFE BEGINS AT EIGHT-THIRTY (1942)
MOONTIDE (1942)
ROAD HOUSE (1948)

And a noir-ish Lupino set from Republic/Artisan (while we're dreaming):

BEWARE MY LOVELY (1952)
JENNIFER (1953)
PRIVATE HELL 36 (1954)
STRANGE INTRUDER (1956)

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
The Light That Failed and The Hard Way are definitely peak, essential Lupino- Failed established Ida as a leading dramatic star, while Way may feature her best work in that vein (Lupino won the New York Film Critics Best Actress Award for the film). I think Way is one of the most intriguing and memorable of the 1940's melodramas, and probably represents Vincent Sherman's top directorial effort as well. He manages to get fine performances from the entire cast, with Lupino and Jack Carson in particular offering distinctive, distinguished portrayals. I thought both actors deserved Oscar nominations, at the least; Lupino etches a vivid portrait of Helen Chernen, the film's tough protaganist, a woman determined to escape her lower-class surroundings regardless of the cost, while the normally jovial Carson is alternately charming and deeply moving in a complex dramatic role (it's unlike anything else Carson did on screen, and it's one of my favorite performances). Please Warner, release this classic ASAP!

bobraleigh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
bob
i agree about jack carson, was he nominated for mildred pierce? he should
have been.

on my vhs of man i love there is a small clip missing that was on the version i taped off cable. i hope when (if) this comes to dvd they restore it fully, cause it seems there are musical numbers missing but i can't tell.

Shawn Cornwell

Stunt Coordinator
Carsson (and Lupino, for that matter) never scored an Oscar nomination (Pierce and Cat on a Hot Tin Roof were probably the closest Carson came to a nod, but I really think he deserved a win for Way).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation154
Recent bookmarks