1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Where's High Society on Blu Ray Warner's?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by M90GM, May 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DannyLewis

DannyLewis Stunt Coordinator

I am another one hoping that the DCP to be shown for the Opposite Sex at TCM Film Festival is sourced from a new restoration. And I would buy a Bluray in a heartbeat!

2. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    While I haven't seen it, I admit I also would like to get The Opposite Sex on Blu-ray, although it isn't as likely to be a day 1 purchase for me, if only because there's a long list of stuff that is coming out this year or that has been hinted at that I feel a greater need to support at full price/day 1 purchases, like Summer Stock, High Society (if indeed it does come out), whatever 30s title that is coming (since WAC needs to be reminded we want more from that decade with actual sales to prove it), whatever 40s title is coming, Popeye, and those are just the WAC stuff, as I could easily get into Criterion releases, both announced (Swing Time) and rumored (at least one Showboat plus The Cameraman), and who knows how many others!

3. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    The Opposite Sex at this year's TCM Festival is being shown outside by the pool of the Roosevelt Hotel ; they do not run DCP for these screenings. It's listed only as 'digital' on the schedule, which could mean it's from DVD.

4. Astairefan

Astairefan Second Unit

Neil Powell
    While that might be true, that doesn't take away the possibility of a Blu-ray coming, either. I mean, WAC released the DVD, it's in Cinemascope, WAC released back when they were plastering that "remastered edition" banner on some of their DVDs, so I can only assume a lot of work was done just to get it ready for DVD. Obviously, some more work would need to be done for Blu-ray, but a lot of the titles that they released on DVD and upgraded to Blu-ray have shared similar criteria, so it's still a good shot of coming out on blu!

5. redhotandbluetechnicolor

Benjamin Burke
    Is there anyone on this thread, that will be attending the TCM Festival that could let us know if The Opposite Sex is a restored presentation?

6. JoelA

JoelA Producer

Joel Arndt
    Count me in for Blu-rays of both The Opposite Sex and High Society. High Society is one of my holy grail titles and The Opposite Sex is just plain fun. Odd musical choices in Sex with no musical number for Ann Miller and Dolores Gray only performing the title song. At least she got that. Two of the most talented women on the MGM lot at that time.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago they ran a DCP of Love Me or Leave Me at the TCM Festival and that title was released on Blu-ray a few months later?

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Archivist
    Reviewer

Robert Harris
    To the best of my knowledge, there has been no new work on High Society. OoS is probably being run from a DVD.

8. redhotandbluetechnicolor

Benjamin Burke
    Ohhhh Mr. Harris, to be privy to the information that you are in the world of film restoration--I would metaphorically give my left arm. Well, I guess that shuts up the case of High Society appearing on blu in the near future and The Opposite Sex.

Richard M S likes this.
  9. Rob W

Rob W Supporting Actor

Robert
    TCM always clarifies in the program notes if a particular title is a new restoration, and there is nothing mentioned concerning this title.

10. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Cinematographer

Wayne
    The last I checked High Society is available in HD from iTunes. I would think they would be showing that master if no more work was done on it.

11. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    "High Society" is again on sale for $4.99 on iTunes in HD.