What's new

Where’s High Society on Blu Ray Warner’s? (1 Viewer)

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
It certainly does. I'm also curious about The Opposite Sex. Even though I may be blasted for even thinking the 1956 remake is even worth a watch, I think the beautiful metrocolor cinematography and eye-popping wardrobe by Helen Rose would be a real wowser on blu-ray. There is a DCP of this being shown at the TCM festival as well and I'm wondering if it's based on a new restoration. But really, if The Opposite Sex made an appearance on blu, would anybody really even buy it? According to the hateful things, I've heard tell other people say about it, maybe not...
I am another one hoping that the DCP to be shown for the Opposite Sex at TCM Film Festival is sourced from a new restoration. And I would buy a Bluray in a heartbeat!

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
While I haven't seen it, I admit I also would like to get The Opposite Sex on Blu-ray, although it isn't as likely to be a day 1 purchase for me, if only because there's a long list of stuff that is coming out this year or that has been hinted at that I feel a greater need to support at full price/day 1 purchases, like Summer Stock, High Society (if indeed it does come out), whatever 30s title that is coming (since WAC needs to be reminded we want more from that decade with actual sales to prove it), whatever 40s title is coming, Popeye, and those are just the WAC stuff, as I could easily get into Criterion releases, both announced (Swing Time) and rumored (at least one Showboat plus The Cameraman), and who knows how many others!

Rob W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Robert
I am another one hoping that the DCP to be shown for the Opposite Sex at TCM Film Festival is sourced from a new restoration. And I would buy a Bluray in a heartbeat!

The Opposite Sex at this year's TCM Festival is being shown outside by the pool of the Roosevelt Hotel ; they do not run DCP for these screenings. It's listed only as 'digital' on the schedule, which could mean it's from DVD.

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
The Opposite Sex at this year's TCM Festival is being shown outside by the pool of the Roosevelt Hotel ; they do not run DCP for these screenings. It's listed only as 'digital' on the schedule, which could mean it's from DVD.

While that might be true, that doesn't take away the possibility of a Blu-ray coming, either. I mean, WAC released the DVD, it's in Cinemascope, WAC released back when they were plastering that "remastered edition" banner on some of their DVDs, so I can only assume a lot of work was done just to get it ready for DVD. Obviously, some more work would need to be done for Blu-ray, but a lot of the titles that they released on DVD and upgraded to Blu-ray have shared similar criteria, so it's still a good shot of coming out on blu!

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Count me in for Blu-rays of both The Opposite Sex and High Society. High Society is one of my holy grail titles and The Opposite Sex is just plain fun. Odd musical choices in Sex with no musical number for Ann Miller and Dolores Gray only performing the title song. At least she got that. Two of the most talented women on the MGM lot at that time.

Wasn't it a couple of years ago they ran a DCP of Love Me or Leave Me at the TCM Festival and that title was released on Blu-ray a few months later?

Real Name
Benjamin Burke
Ohhhh Mr. Harris, to be privy to the information that you are in the world of film restoration--I would metaphorically give my left arm. Well, I guess that shuts up the case of High Society appearing on blu in the near future and The Opposite Sex.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I bought High Society from iTunes when it was on sale I think for $4.99. The HD picture looks better than DVD (my guess, I never had the DVD) but the sound (which has apparently recently been remastered) is incredible for a film I had up to now only heard in mono.
"High Society" is again on sale for $4.99 on iTunes in HD.

Real Name
Benjamin Burke
I just noticed that Fathom Events is having "65th Anniversary" showings of "High Society" in November. I'm hoping that bodes well for a blu-ray.
Oh I am planning on a beautifully restored blu-day for the 65th anniversary edition. I don’t think TCM would show it in theatres nationwide without some sort of heavy restoration work.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I just noticed that Fathom Events is having "65th Anniversary" showings of "High Society" in November. I'm hoping that bodes well for a blu-ray.
Oh I am planning on a beautifully restored blu-day for the 65th anniversary edition. I don’t think TCM would show it in theatres nationwide without some sort of heavy restoration work.
You have to wonder if Warner is finally planning to release it on Blu-ray:

Harold Chasen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Since this threat has been brought to the top, it's a bit discouraging that it's three and a half years old, and there is still no official announcement of a Blu-Ray release of High Society.

However, I looked through the thread at the many, many titles that people had on their various wish lists. I became much less discouraged when I realized that all of the following have since been released (or announced) on Blu-Ray (all from Warner Archive unless mentioned as being from Criterion):

Annie Get Your Gun
The Bad and The Beautiful
The Cameraman
(Criterion)
Damn Yankees
Dinner at Eight
Gaslight
Good News
Green Dolphin Street
The Harvey Girls
High Sierra
(Criterion)
Ivanhoe
The Letter
The Magnificent Ambersons
(Criterion)
Million Dollar Mermaid
Moonfleet
Mr. Roberts
National Velvet
Now Voyager
(Criterion)
The Opposite Sex
The Pajama Game
The Pirate
The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex
San Francisco
The Sea Hawk
Show Boat 1936
(Criterion)
Show Boat 1951
Summer Stock
Swing Time
(Criterion)
The Thing from Another World
Village of the Damned

Two of the four Mickey Rooney-Judy Garland "putting on a show" musicals:

Strike Up The Band
Girl Crazy

And the five! of the six total Thin Man pictures:

The Thin Man
Another Thin Man
After the Thin Man
The Thin Man Goes Home
Shadow of the Thin Man

Honorable mention goes to Till The Clouds Roll By. The entire film isn't on Blu-Ray, but the entire Show Boat section is.

So, never give up hope. Just look at what we've gotten in 3.5 years - of titles mentioned in this thread alone!

dukiejosh54

Second Unit
Real Name
Josh
Has anyone catched a screening of the 65th anniversary Fathom Event yet? I'm curious if they are showing a newly restored version of the film or if it's an old transfer. If it's been restored that might be a good sign a blu-ray will be coming soon.

Last edited:

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I assume I'm not the only one here that's attending, but I have tickets for the Sunday show and will report back if nobody here saw it yesterday.

I'm not all that familiar with how the old transfer looked, but I imagine if it's a premier of a fresh transfer and restoration of the film, that they'll make it known.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks