What's new

Where's God? (not a religious question)... (1 Viewer)

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I have been watching a couple of horror movies lately that deal with demons or the devil (ie-Exorcist, Omen, etc) and I have to ask where is God or any other benevolent spirit to help us out when these guys come up and cause all of these problems? Has any movie ever had a good force come and kick some butt?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member

You must not have seen the final movie in the Omen trilogy, where Christ shows up and the AntiChrist is destroyed. Also, the good priest in Exorcist rids the girl of the demon (even if he dies in the process), so I'd say "good spirits" show up in both cases.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Well, it wouldn't be very fair if the Main Man Himself stepped into the arena now, would it? Plus, these All-powerful things like leaving the real work to their minions.

The Stand (miniseries) features good characteres that are clearly guided by god, which even intervenes directly at some point.

--
H

Tim_Stack

Second Unit
********Check out the ending to The Passion of the Christ. ***

Damn, is there a twist at the end? I hate when I know the ending going in! :)

Chad R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chad Rouch
Usually, these battles with satan deal with the individual's soul, and not mankind in general. God doesn't get involved at this level usually.

todd s

Senior HTF Member

I thought I remember seeing that. But, it was a long time ago. Can you explain it in a little more detail?

Thanks!

Jefferson Morris

Supporting Actor
The ending of Time Bandits could be interprested this way. Although God doesn't "kick butt" so much as "clean house," in this case.

--Jefferson Morris

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
In "Bless the Child" there were several interventions by Angels to prevent the evil victory. There was also a Christ figure in "The Seventh Sign". I think that religiously inspired horror movies generally have some level of good interaction. However, the big G is too big a level of interaction. Angels seem to be fairly common though. I suspect that one reason they don't tend to have large interventions (unless the are playing to specific theme) is that people like to watch movies where we are the dominant power ("The Devil and Daniel Webster" is probably the classic example of this). Also, religious horror tends to have a freedom of choice motif (good has the choice to be evil where evil rarely has the choice to be good) which affects how they utilize divine or infernal intervention.

Kenneth

Chris

Senior HTF Member
STV. Technically, not god.

I was going to mention "Oh God, You Devil!" of course, the biggest confrontation between good and evil on film, over an up and coming pop star.. they led the way to the poker craze you now see on TV, so there ;)

I could also point you to: "Jesus Christ: Vampire Hunter" http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0311361/

You've got to love the tag line:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
paulmagruder
Recent bookmarks