Where's Family Ties?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Stephen Wight, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Stephen Wight

Stephen Wight Second Unit

Stephen
    I was just going through my show selections,on tvshowsondvd.com,and read news,from September 2004,that Family Ties is coming to dvd,in the first half of 2005.It's now September 2005,and we haven't heard a whiff of news,since,saying when this is going to be released.What gives?

2. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    What gives is that they're probably waiting to finish the shows they've got now (The Brady Bunch, Cheers, MacGyver, I Love Lucy) before they begin. At least that's what I hope.

3. Juan Books

Juan Books Stunt Coordinator

But I want Family Ties now [​IMG] Does anyone know what's keeping it from being released? Who owns this? I'm praying its not Sony's...

4. MatthewA

MatthewA Lead Actor

Matthew
    It's a Paramount property, you can breathe easy.

Would you rather have it now and have it bastardized or wait a little while and get it done right the first time?

5. Juan Books

So they're working on it rather than sitting on it? How do you know that?

6. ElijahS

ElijahS Supporting Actor

It's a guess, probably.

7. John*P

John*P Second Unit

I miss this show, now that it isn't airing in syndication here in the USA. I'm also hoping that after Paramount finishes some of their current TV-DVD series, they will finally get the ball rolling with Family Ties, one of the greatest sitcoms of the 80s, and arguably, of all time.

Family Ties has an Unreleased Rank of 14th and an Overall Rank of 33rd at TVShowsOnDVD.com, so there is obviously a DVD demand for the show. I hope we get the DVDs soon...

8. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Since I'm responsible for that Family Ties story, I'll explain what happened.

Paramount listed the item on their password-protected press site, but with no date. The title stayed listed there for about a month after I posted that news. Then it was taken off, and has never re-appeared again. When I asked someone at Paramount about it a few months later, they basically said "it is not on the schedule at this time". Since it was never officially announced (with a date and all), there was nothing really left to say at that time. I just kinda held back and hoped that it would be announced the next month...then the next...then the next....

Sigh. At this point I figure the best thing to do is just to get into the mindset of "it's not coming", and hope that Paramount proves me wrong down the road. But I've stopped holding my breathe.

Sorry to have gotten your hopes up!

9. Juan Books

[​IMG]

10. Stephen Wight

Stephen
    That's okay,Dave.It's not your fault.

11. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

re: " Too bad Paramount doesn't know that"

Actually, they merely have to look. They have the ability to register at the site, log on, and see the rank for any program on the site (all registered users can). If they ask Gord for more details about the popularity of a show they own, he will provide answers. That's one of the goals of the site, after all: collect info about popularity of a show, and pass that on to the studio. Since there was a management change at Paramount, though, the new folks have been way less communicative.

12. Paul Miller

Paul Miller Supporting Actor

If there is one thing that bothers me about the voting process on TV Shows on DVD is that it only shows what the top ten shows that haven't been released are. Couldn't you guys every four months or so include an extended version of the list so people could see what others are interested in? And... Are there any animated shows that haven't been released in the top twenty five at all?

Paul

13. Gord Lacey

Gord Lacey Cinematographer

Paul, we don't show more than the top 10 for a number of reasons, the main one being the mindset of many people on the site. Fans of certain shows want to "beat" a show ahead of them, which leads them to register multiple accounts to register more votes. That puts more of a strain on me because I have to go and delete all the accounts, and possibly suspend the show if it gets out of hand.

Ranks give you an idea of how popular a show is based on everything on the site, but a show at spot #50 may have a better chance of getting released than show #40 because the one at 50 may be the highest rank show that a company owns.

Gord

14. Stephen Wight

Stephen
    Dave,what you said is true.I find it odd,though,that a show ranked that high,with such a demand for it,gets a "it's not on our schedule at this time" response from the studio that owns it. If I remember correctly.Welcome Back Kotter was suspended,earlier this year.

15. Gord Lacey

Yes, I think you're right. I remember some psycho registering 25-30 accounts to vote on it. Don't these people have better things to do?? The worst is "Higher Ground," after being suspended for 5 times I'm not putting it back on the site. The sad thing is that if Lions Gate ever asked me about the show I would tell them I think the demand may be inflated.

Gord

16. Katherine_K

Katherine_K Second Unit

Gord, thank you for the insight into the reasons you do things the way you do on TSoD.com. I'm kind of curious, is it that I haven't been paying attention lately, but when did the Adventures of Brisco County Jr. jump SOOO far ahead of Seaquest DSV?

Do you think that many of the top ten shows are inflated? I've often gotten the feeling that the first two shows on the list are at least (and I voted for one of them so it's not against a particular show).

17. Gord Lacey

I don't think so. When Charmed was at the top spot I wondered if it was inflated a bit, but we didn't get that many emails bounce when we started posting news about the show. Paramount has also said that sales of the series were very strong (so give us some extras!!), so the interest on my site was reflected there. I think Brisco County may be lower than it should be; I've spoken with many Bruce Campbell fans that don't even know about the show, but want it after I tell them he was the star.

The site is meant as a guide; sometimes the numbers will be high, and sometimes they'll be low. It was meant as a way for the studios to say, "hey, there's some interest in _____ show, we should look into it and see it's it's viable to release it." There are so many costs associated with certain shows that they may never come out, even if they're #1 on the site.

Gord