What's new

Where's Alien dvd? (1 Viewer)

Bob.Chest

Auditioning
I've checked ColumbiaHouse & Amazon for availability of the 20th Anniversary edition and it's always out of stock. I notice there is a new box set of all 4 Alien movies out now- anybody know what's going on? I just want the original! Thanks.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
I can pick these up for $45, the 4-movie boxset. If any significant extras such as isolated scores on Alien will not be on the forthcoming reissues, I'd like to get it. Any advice?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
No clue what's going to be on them, again. This is just speculation. Fox's typical habit when they pull movie-only discs of big-name films is to put out even more special editions :)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Well, in the Fox chat Peter seemed to strongly indicate that something big was being done with the Alien series in some manner.
At least a Fincher recut for Alien 3 seems highly likely, if not some manner of an even better version of the other films as well. This is all reading between the lines of the chat and considering rumors that have floated around. I believe this was touched on in the Fox chat discussion thread.
At any rate, I would just suck it up and try to be patient on getting Alien. Sounds like you will be avoiding a repurchase that many of us might be in for in a few months or so. :)
Well, I had the Alien LD box so I never did pick up that DVD, despite the better picture. But now... ;)

PaulP

Senior HTF Member
Seth, that would be the case if all of the extras were carried over onto the reissues. I'm greatly interested in Goldsmith scores that are on Alien and I hesitated picking it up constantly reading rumors and then this chat.

Eric_R_C

Second Unit
Does the new box look like the old box? While it may be OOP, there are still some around. $45 is a good price, considering Best Buy had them a few months ago for $100+. There's been some talk from Fox executives about special editions coming out. They said they couldn't give any details, but you can expect something. Either way, the old set is great, and you can't beat that price, either (Just remember to throw away the offer for the special DVD inside the package. That disk is WAY OOP!)

In case you're wondering, there was a thread on this a few days ago, and I believe the news came from an interview with Digital Bits.

Joshua Moran

Supporting Actor
Hmmm a directors cut of Alien 3 maybe worth a re-purchase. But I bought this set the day it came out and only watched it a few times. Aliens being my absolute Favorite of the series I would love to have this one in DTS.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Fincher has said a few times that he doesn't want to do an Alien 3 special edition with his director's cut. He had such a difficult time with Fox over this film that he doesn't want anymore to do with it. It's a pity, because his cut is superior to the theatrical version and I'd love to finally get it on DVD. All I have is a crummy VHS bootleg. :frowning:

Robert_eb

Supporting Actor
I'm sure if Fox opened up the checkbook that Fincher may do a Director's Cut. I think he would like to prove too everyone that his vision for Alien 3 was much better then what Fox decided to release.

Mark E J

Second Unit
Awhile back someone here said he heard from a very reliable source that the Alien films would be re-released as two disc "5 Star" style special editions. He said that the second film would feature both the original theatrical cut as well as the extended cut of the film. Then he said his source suprised him by saying that David Fincer had changed his mind and agreed to a re-cut.

Personally I did not put much faith in this until Peter Staddon said at the HTF chat that this would be a big year for the Alien films but could not tell us any details. Now I think a Alien 3 re-cut or at least both versions Aliens is likely.

Damin J Toell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Damin J. Toell
Fincher has said a few times that he doesn't want to do an Alien 3 special edition with his director's cut. He had such a difficult time with Fox over this film that he doesn't want anymore to do with it. It's a pity, because his cut is superior to the theatrical version and I'd love to finally get it on DVD.
That was, indeed, the conventional wisdom in the past. As of late, however, there have been very strong rumors (from sources including trustworthy HTF members) that something is being done with Fincher and Alien3.
DJ

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
I had to get the AC3 LD to get hold of the theatrical version of Aliens - and now the new dvds are on their way. And branching issues aside (SE was done on video etc etc), we should at least get both cuts, on seperate dvds if need be. Ah, who cares! I would sell my soul for a Fincher-supervised SE of Alien3. And seeing what Jean-Pierre Jeunet did with the Amelie dvd, surely we can look forward to loads of extras on his behalf for Resurrection? But I think a Joss Whedon commentary would be going a bit too far...

Charles Ms

Stunt Coordinator
So maybe this Special Edition DVD Re-release is just the warm-up phase for "Alien 5". :)
Like for example the "Matrix Revisited" DVD has been, to keep the fans holding on to the topic.
... just dreaming, i guess ...

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Personally I can't fathom why anyone would ever want to see the theatrical cut again. It took almost 15 years to get the proper cut on video, and it is so far superior to the original it's not funny

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Personally I can't fathom why anyone would ever want to see the theatrical cut again. It took almost 15 years to get the proper cut on video, and it is so far superior to the original it's not funny
The rest of the SE I can take or leave. Some of the bits add a little to the movie, but none of them make it significantly superior. Still, if I could watch the SE without the moments I mentioned in the spoiler space, I probably would - otherwise, I'd take the theatrical cut.

And here's a big vote to see Fincher's original Alien3 cut! I've never seen it, and would LOVE to get that on DVD - even if it looked below par, I still want it!

Anders Englund

Second Unit
While I agree that the extendend cut/directors cut/whatever Aliens is better, I can see the point that it eliminates some of the supsense. That's only for the first viewing, though (IMO). But, the orginal cut had one thing that always bothered me:
The scene where Bishop shows Ripley the exhaust from the reactor (when he tells her it's blow) is very sudden. The extended cut has the sentry gun scene before it, and the cut between them is not as odd.
Am I totally unclear about this?
--Anders

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks