What's new

Wheres a new Killer Instinct (1 Viewer)

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
Wasn't KI just a bitmapped sidescrolling two-dimensional button masher? My gaming interests are just so much more sophisticated now. Bring on DOA:Online. Leave these Mortal Kombat clones of yesteryear where they belong - in nostalgic discussion forums.

Darren Haycock

Second Unit
Button masher? Mortal Kombat clone? You're kidding, right? Obviously you never played much of Killer Instinct, as it is one of the greatest fighting game series of all time.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
KI was more than that. The first KI was amazing in that it combined the over-the-top action of Mortal Kombat with the fighting style of Street Fighter. It also combined 2-D fighters with 3-D backgrounds, which looked amazing when it first came out, and the little interactive elements (pretty much knocking characters off of high ledges to give them a final kill) were very cool.

To be honest, I first fell in love with watching Orchid fight in KI, but I began to really like it for it's fighting system and the combos you could pull off, especially the Ultra combos.

And I'm sorry, but DoA is pretty shallow when it comes to fighting games. Tekken and Virtua Fighter are both deep in their fighting engines (in that there's a lot of customizability and many moves to do), MK is known simply for it's gore (not much else), and DoA is known for it's girls and graphics. The Street Fighter games are hard to categorize, seeing as how there's multiple groups of games (the regular games, the alpha games, the Ex games, the spinoffs like Marvel vs. Capcom, and so on).

Keith Frederick

Stunt Coordinator
I played Killer Instinct 2 very recently - the arcade machine, at a party. I was fresh off of playing DOA3 and Soul Caliber at the time, so it was a little weird playing a 2D game - looks and feels like a cartoon... something I'll show my kids in 12 years to describe how games used to look and play.

I never really liked the COMBO-dependent games. They aren't very pick-up-and-play and certainly not very natural feeling. I like the direction where games are feeling more like simulations than actual games, where the "game" aspect is not so apparent, rather transparent, like a movie has to be for you to get lost in it.

DaveGTP

Senior HTF Member
Another person that would buy an Xbox to play a new KI game. I'm still a Tekken, Soul Edge/Calibur, Street Fighter player, but I played KI 1&2 to death in the arcades back in the day as much as Street Fighter/MK1. Great stuff.

Alex_Santos

Second Unit
No doubt about this one, KI is definately the best fighter ever. Cinder...enough said.

P.S. - I learned more memorizing and thinking up combos in KI then I did in Middle School. And who ever said video games weren't educational?

NickC

Second Unit
KI definatly had the best announcer and some of the best music hands down.

While Mortal Kombat 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3, are my favorite fighting games, KI comes in second with the Street Fighter 2 series.

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
KI definatly had the best announcer and some of the best music hands down.
You said a mouth full. I think this is the primary reason I love this game so much. The announcer would draw you into the game sooo much. I promise I can almost feel a tear in my eye.:b

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I played KI for SNES a little last night, and my thumb is sore again. The only bad thing about KI, SF, and all fighting games was the bad d-pads combined with the addictive nature of the games. Ouch.

BTW, I love Orchid.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
As much as I hate having combo breakers used on me, they really did add to the depth of the game and balanced the whole thing out more.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks