What's new

Where's a good site to get informed for a new guy? (1 Viewer)

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Aside from bugging people in this forum, I don't know where to go. Here's my other review sites:

For my dvd reviews: dvdfile.com thedigitalbits.com.
For my video games I go to IGN.com and gamespot.com.
For my movie reviews: rottentomatoes.com and link from there.
For Home Theater Electronics: ????

I feel like I can get very well informed on all those first areas on what I'm buying or seeing. Plus, after reading reviews I can go to the boards and refine my questions with other people.

HOWEVER, I can not seem to get the low down on the Home Theater arena. There just seems too much to encompass, and so I feel I'm coming here with no background and just begging for "What's Good?"

I'm trying to get surround sound finally, but I'm totally confused. The guys at the store all seem like they're trying to sell me just what they have in front of them, and I have no idea if it's a good deal or not.

What's a quick and easy way to get informed, or at least get on the right track?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Lanny,

I would suggest hanging in the basics area. About once a week- someone poses the "what should I buy" question- and gets a handful of suggestions. Taking these suggestions and doing searches about these specific models here and on other HT forums should start to provide you with multiple discussions which (usually) compare products. Within a few days you start to see many of the same names popping up- and if you take notes you should have a good shopping/audition list in no time.

If you're really new and wondering about formats, features and general concepts- you should read through the HTF FAQ and PRIMER, the link is in my sig.

-V

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Welcome to the HTF Lanny. Vince sums it up well. Don't be afraid to wade on in after reading up and post your Questions. We are good at spending our money and we never mind helping others spend there's.

Brian OK

Supporting Actor
Yep,

Research your butt off if you are serious about bettering/starting an HT setup.
Start here at HTF with the search function .... or follow the appropriate links. One must "dig".

Ya' really gotta' get immersed in this stuff,.... if you don't, your head will spin.

No kidding, it takes months, a few years.... but it all comes together. Stay with it.

Good searching,

BOK

Lanny_B

Second Unit
Cool, I did read somebody mention "_____ speaker got good reviews..." So, there are some reviews out there too? Are they just not very inclusive or reliable?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks