Where's a good place to find music in Philly?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lee Scoggins, Jul 15, 2004.

1. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I will be in Philly on Sunday and am looking to do some record shopping and maybe see some live music, maybe even see the new stadium if there is a game...

Any local Philadelphians have suggestions here?

Thanks. [​IMG]

2. Phil A

Phil A Producer

Phil
    Lee, I used to work in Philly. Have not been there in a while but they had a big HMV store in Center City.

3. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Lee,

There's a huge Tower Records on Broad & Chestnut Streets (the heart of downtown). That's pretty much the best music store downtown. Prices are just ok -- you can do better online almost always. There's a SACD Jazz and Classical section on the 2nd floor in the area between the Jazz and Classical sections. Though there are also SACD releases mixed in with the general redbook.

The HMV closed back in the 90s.

For live music check the listings at:

http://www.philly.com/mld/inquirer/

Since you're in to recording technology you may be interested in taking a tour of Verizon Hall a few blocks down the street. You'd probably find it's reverberation chambers interesting. The largest working organ in the world is also a block away from that Tower.

4. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks for the suggestions.

Seth, I will be staying at 17th & Chestnut so Tower is real convenient. Thanks!

5. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

Sofitel or Westin?

6. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I second Seth's recommendation for the Center City Tower. Probably the best music selection in the city. As Seth said, on the second floor they have a SA-CD/DVD-A section. Like all Towers, price is usually close or at retail.

How long will you be in town? I can give you some dining suggestions if you are looking for a nice place to grab a bite.

J

7. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

well I am not from Philly but since you are getting cookie cutter suggestions like HMV and Tower why not just go to Best Buy or Walmart

or you could take the adventerous path and support a independent m&p store

good place to search
    http://www.recordstorereview.com/cgi-bin/store

though I would always recommend phoning first before making a special trip, the stores mentioned above may have planted a foundation on their roof

8. Seth--L

Seth--L Screenwriter

There are no Best Buys or Walmarts in downtown Philadelphia (though there is a Walmart in South Philly).

No offense, but going to another city's Walmart strikes me as silly since they're all the same. The Philadelphia Tower (which again is quite large by any standard) is tailored to Philadelphians. It heavily features music by local artists, and its stock is determined by local buying habits, not national. So besides pricing, it’s not just another Tower Records.

9. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Thanks for the suggestions. The Acela train from DC was a great ride if not all that fast. Service was superb.

I am on my way to Tower...

10. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    Well the Philly Tower is quite a nice store. A deep classical collection and a very nice hirez inventory. I finally got my hands on the Vivaldi La Stravaganza set and Eden Atwoods Bossa Nova Sessions.

I also saw they have Tenor Madness out from Sonny Rollins...

Anyone got this one?

Anyway it is great being back in town. It has some really beautiful sections and the food is great as ever...

11. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

12. Justin Lane

Justin Lane Cinematographer

I picked this one, through BMG of all places (they have about 8 Fantasy SA-CD available). Sonics are pretty nice, though a bit flat at times (probably due to the original masters). I am ashamed to say, I never owned this disc on CD so I have no basis for comparison. Still worth picking up if only for the title track, which is becoming one of my favorite Jazz tunes.

J

13. Lee Scoggins

Lee Scoggins Producer

Lee
    I have to check it out Justin. [​IMG]