Where's a good place to buy cooking utensils?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Matt Everett, Dec 3, 2001.

1. Matt Everett

Matt Everett Stunt Coordinator

Ok, this is nowhere near as interesting as the great coax vs. optical cable debate, but here goes...

Where, either online or B&M, are good places to buy cooking utensils? I've been living on my own for a while now, and I'm tired of TV dinners. I have most of the basics, but I need stuff like a whisk, a garlic press, some pots and pans, spices and so on.

For example, I don't have to have the $15 Italian-made garlic press, but I want to make sure I'm buying stuff that will work well and last a long time. I am looking for opinions on good deals and good products.

Many thanks,

Matt

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

You typically pay top dollar for good utensils, but they are worth it in longevity.
    Check out www.PCD.Com for some decent pricing on Cutlery. I have a set of Wusthoff's, but my neighbor (gourmet-wannabe) got a set of Global knives here and loves 'em. Shipping is expensive for small orders though....
    Search HTF for cutlery, there was a thread a couple months ago with some great links.

3. Brian Perry

Brian Perry Cinematographer

4. Max Knight

Max Knight Supporting Actor

Hi Matt,

I have found Bed Bath & Beyond to be a good B&M retailer. Online, Cutleryandmore.com has good prices.

A word of advice: buy a good knife. If you only get one knife, get an 8" chefs knife from a good manufacturer (Wusthof, Global, Henckel). It may run about $80 or so, but you will have it for years and it will never let you down.

I'd also suggest that you try to get a decent cookset. You don't have to go all out and get Allclad or something, but get a set that feels nice (not cheap and light). Macy's often has good sales on this type of stuff (you can order online I believe).

As for random stuff, I've found OXO Goodgrips makes great products (wonderful can openers, good dish scrubbers, very nice tongs, etc.).

Have fun cooking!

-Max

5. Scooter

Scooter Screenwriter

Scooter
    I did my kitchen at dollar stores, Odd Job and Linens and Things. Depending on where you live..places like Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc, can save you a LOT of money.

Thing with Odd Job..name brand stuff CHEAP! They buy close outs and stuff. And last but not least..Lechters is going out of business..BIG savings there!

6. Chad Isaacs

Chad Isaacs Supporting Actor

If you have an outlet mall near by,look for a kitchen store there.I have found alot of good stuff there

7. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

At many malls you can find 'The Rolling Pin'. They are a specialty retailer, yet are not overpriced for fine utensiles and specialty items. Their Strudal Cake coffee is also great!!!!

8. Jason Merrick

Jason Merrick Supporting Actor

Jason Merrick
    Don't know if you have a Lechter's in a mall near you, but if so check them out in a hurry... they are going out of business and have a huge clearance in the works... everything is discounted, most 50% or more. Some really great deals available.

9. Kelley_B

Kelley_B Cinematographer

Target.