What's new

Where's a good place to buy cooking utensils? (1 Viewer)

Matt Everett

Stunt Coordinator
Ok, this is nowhere near as interesting as the great coax vs. optical cable debate, but here goes...

Where, either online or B&M, are good places to buy cooking utensils? I've been living on my own for a while now, and I'm tired of TV dinners. I have most of the basics, but I need stuff like a whisk, a garlic press, some pots and pans, spices and so on.

For example, I don't have to have the $15 Italian-made garlic press, but I want to make sure I'm buying stuff that will work well and last a long time. I am looking for opinions on good deals and good products.

Many thanks,

Matt

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
You typically pay top dollar for good utensils, but they are worth it in longevity.
Check out www.PCD.Com for some decent pricing on Cutlery. I have a set of Wusthoff's, but my neighbor (gourmet-wannabe) got a set of Global knives here and loves 'em. Shipping is expensive for small orders though....
Search HTF for cutlery, there was a thread a couple months ago with some great links.

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
For example, I don't have to have the $15 Italian-made garlic press, but I want to make sure I'm buying stuff that will work well and last a long time.
Buy the one from Zyliss (Switzerland) for $15 and you'll have a garlic press that you'll use constantly and it will last you your whole lifetime.

Max Knight

Supporting Actor
Hi Matt,

I have found Bed Bath & Beyond to be a good B&M retailer. Online, Cutleryandmore.com has good prices.

A word of advice: buy a good knife. If you only get one knife, get an 8" chefs knife from a good manufacturer (Wusthof, Global, Henckel). It may run about $80 or so, but you will have it for years and it will never let you down.

I'd also suggest that you try to get a decent cookset. You don't have to go all out and get Allclad or something, but get a set that feels nice (not cheap and light). Macy's often has good sales on this type of stuff (you can order online I believe).

As for random stuff, I've found OXO Goodgrips makes great products (wonderful can openers, good dish scrubbers, very nice tongs, etc.).

Have fun cooking!

-Max

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
I did my kitchen at dollar stores, Odd Job and Linens and Things. Depending on where you live..places like Dollar General, Family Dollar, etc, can save you a LOT of money.

Thing with Odd Job..name brand stuff CHEAP! They buy close outs and stuff. And last but not least..Lechters is going out of business..BIG savings there!

Chad Isaacs

Supporting Actor
If you have an outlet mall near by,look for a kitchen store there.I have found alot of good stuff there

Kendal Kirk

Stunt Coordinator
At many malls you can find 'The Rolling Pin'. They are a specialty retailer, yet are not overpriced for fine utensiles and specialty items. Their Strudal Cake coffee is also great!!!!

Jason Merrick

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Merrick
Don't know if you have a Lechter's in a mall near you, but if so check them out in a hurry... they are going out of business and have a huge clearance in the works... everything is discounted, most 50% or more. Some really great deals available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks