Where to take reading with SPL?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Bryan G, May 19, 2002.

1. Bryan G

Bryan G Extra

I just purchased AVIA. I want to test tuning my modest RCA surroung sound system before I start to upgrade my system piece by piece.

Anyway, in watching the DVD, they said how to hold the SPL at an angle pointing towards, the ceiling and facing the source of the sound. I searched threads with SPL and found all sort of interesting information, but not this.

They did not mention how far to stand from the speaker. Should you be in the most centered listening position of your couch?

Also, they showed using the SPL with a 70db setting. Should I set my receiver to a volume level of 70 to match and like wise 60 on SPL with 60 on the receiver?

We don't watch movies with the volume set to 70 on the receiver, normally 55 to 60. So should I test using a volume that we normally listen at?

Regards, Bryan

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

For the HTF primer for newcomers:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...553#post650553
    So, place the meter at your listening position pointed forward at an angle towards where the front wall meets the ceiling. Calibrate to the level indicated by the disc (in the case of AVIA 85db on you meter)-- take note of what number that is (that is ref level) and then adjust the overall volume for your own listening as desired...
    -V

3. Mike Strassburg

Mike Strassburg Second Unit

Thanks Vince as I plan on calibrating soon. Picked up the RS meter when they were on sale last month but still haven't had time to use it....