Where to start?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Matt_Whitehorn, Jan 6, 2004.

1. Matt_Whitehorn

I'm building a new home. There are several things I want to do for whole house sound, but I'm a new to home theaters. I have 1 room which will be the media room, I'll have 5:1 surround sound. I'm planning to put in-wall speakers in there. Then I'll have 2 rooms and the patio which will have 2 speakers in each spot/room. I would like to have volume control in each room. I'd also like for all the speakers to be run by 1 central receiver. So I think this means I'll need an impedance matching box. The only thing I plan to do is use it for DVD,VHS and CD. Given this description, what should I look for in a receiver? What questions should I be looking to answer?

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well...

The "whole house" audio thing isn't a big portion of what goes on here-- so you MIGHT not get a ton of advice.

You do have the right direction started- but in my personal opinion and experience, I tried to keep my 5.1 setup apart from the whole house distribution setup.

Catalogs like Parts Express have several "turn-key" type whole house distro systems-- including the ability to select different sources for different rooms, etc.

If you must stick with a single receiver- make sure to get an imp matching system - don't forget master volume on your receiver will throw off the remote systems-- and often affordable volume controls for imp matching systems are "Step" volumes, not smooth volume knobs.

Beyond that, most affordable "in wall" speakers are horrible-- good for like background music on the patio, but I would never use the majority in my HT (although, if you have cash to spend there are a few high end in walls).

-V