What's new

Where to Start Replacing Cables... (1 Viewer)

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

I just bought an older Adcom 545 to power my mains. While there is no hum or white noise, I can now hear a pop when I change source on my Marantz 7200 receiver or sometimes when I press play on DVD. I'm guessing it's time to upgrade interconnects and possibly the surge protectors. Although I have acceptable speaker wire and the digital coax to the DVD player is an AudioQuest,I'd consider my other cables and surge protector to be very cheap.

Where would you start looking to get rid of the pop introduced by power amp?

Where would you start replacing cables?

My budget is severly strained and would love to hear that A/R Pro Series from accessories4less.com are acceptable. At the upper end of end of my range, I've been looking at the Outlaw Audio connections. Currently, DVD and TV are my only sources.

Thanks

Leon

Tan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Leon,

Try disconnecting your amp and using the amp in the receiver. If you are still getting that popping noise, it might be the receiver. If you dont get the popping you might want to take a look at your "older Adcom". I dont beleive that inter-connects are causing the problem, they only transmit what you send to them. It might the output on the receiver or the inputs on the amp. Because you hear it when you press play on your DVD I am leaning towards the amp. It could even be a ground problem on your amp or receiver.

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tan,

The popping only occurs with the Adcom. I thought it probably has to do with grounding, but since I've never had grounding issues before, I'm not sure how to troubleshoot for grounding problems...

Of course, it's also time for me to start upgrading cables as well.

Leon

Tan_N

Stunt Coordinator
Leon,

I've read in some forums, that people have bought a 75 cents adapter from HOME DEPOT that converts a 3 prong (gounded) power cable to a 2 prong power cable. And the noise went away, I would do this just to test for the grounding. but I wouldnt leave it long term.

You should read the debate about cables before you invest your money..

Leon O

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Tan,

I'll probably have a chance to pick up the cheater plug this weekend. I've been able to catch bits and pieces of the cable debate. I have previouslyb believed there is a difference between cheap and good cables, but could never believe there was enough of a difference to purchase esoteric cables. Recently, I've upgraded my receiver & amp, and noticed far more difference than I thought was possible. Thus, I'm now more open to the idea if high end cables.

Since I had an apparent grounding issue, I got to wondering about them importance shielding (not necessarily for grounding issues).

Have Fun,

Leon

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
I dont think you are going to solve this by changing a cable.

It sounds like the amp has some residual charge that discharges when you switch inputs. Or the amp sees the small voltage change when you switch inputs and tries to amplify it resulting in the "pop". I dont think it can be solved with cables or grounding changes.

So if cable/grounding changes do solve the problem, please let us know.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
The "pop" is a known issue with some of the Marantz X200 series of receivers, in particular with digital connections. I have a 6200, and though I get a brief drop-out of sound common to many brands, I do not get a "pop", and only with my DVD players, not my CD (Marantz CC4000).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks