What's new

Where to start my upgrade (1 Viewer)

ChrisMark

Agent
I currently own the SOMY HTiB DDW-840. It is hooked up to a 61 SONY RPTV without HDTV. I will purchase a new DVD player this week to replace the GE player that froze. I plan to purchase either the JVC XV-S500BK or FA900BK. My question is where to start my upgrade of the audio/speaker system. I can only upgrade one piece right now, so should it be the center speaker, front mains, receiver, or rear speakers? My budget is limited to $400. THANKS

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
If you purchase new speakers they will likely not work with your current receiver since it is a HTIB. They are propietary and will only work with the receiver they are made to go with (I found this out the hard way). So that leaves the receiver. Depending on what kind of sound you are looking for, I would recommend Harman Kardon AVR325-it is at the top end of your price range. Also, there was a special recently on the Pioneer 811 for $299 at CC I think. Good luck. It can be frustrating at times, but if you do your research, you should be happy with what you purchase.

ChrisMark

Agent
Thanks for the reply. I am confused. You stated that "They are propietary and will only work with the receiver they are made to go with (I found this out the hard way)". Thsi sounds like the speakers will not work with any other receiver. Is this true, or is it the other way around (the receiver works ONLY with the speakers)

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
In the case of my system, it was both. I had a Kenwood HTiB and the speakers blew when I hooked them up to another receiver. I wasn't pushing them overly hard either.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
You can replace the speakers now - That's a typical receiver so you have nothing to worry about.

What are your goals? IE - do you want a big-time HT when you are done, doing it $400 at a time or a good solid smaller system that fits into the room?

Typical advice would be to get the speaker suite first - 4x whatever plus a center, or make the center the same as the LR with smaller surrounds, etc. Like JBL's NSP series plus a decent sub (or 2) like the DLS .

Your receiver is fine until then. $400 for a receiver in a year or so will net you a very nice piece of gear. In the meantime you can think about a bigger sub if the 10" DLS seems lacking. It will always be worth $100, even used, especially to your buddies who don't know about your source.

Mark Hedges

Second Unit
Well, it is over a month later so you have probably already made your decision but I will put my 2 cents in anyway -

I have a Sony -840 and I have upgraded the speakers without any trouble. It is more or less a standard Sony lower-end reciever. It does not use proprietary connectors and it will accept any speaker from 8 to 16 ohm impedence.

I have upgraded w/ JBL studio series speakers - S36II's for the fronts and an S-CenterII for the center. I am still using the kit speakers for the surrounds as I have absolutely no room in the back for anything bigger. The center speaker makes a very noticable improvement. The fronts are less noticable to me, especially during TV/Movie watching, but I do notice an improvement when listening to music in 2 channel stereo.

If you haven't already made your decision and can stretch your budget to $450 I would go with an S-Center and a pair of S-38's. If you do upgrade your speakers don't forget to change the settings from "Micro SP" to "Normal SP" and set the appropriate speakers to "Large".

Mark

Mark

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks