What's new

Where to set the delay? DVD or receiver? (1 Viewer)

Both the DVD player and the receiver allow you to set the delay for the speakers. My question is do I set them both?? set no delay in the DVD player and set the receiver or the reverse??
DVD - Sony DVP-S530
Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR500
Thanks for any input. :)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
It depends on how you have the player connected to the receiver.

If it's a digital connection, set the delay in the receiver. Changes in the DVD player's setting will have not effect.

If it's a 6-channel analog connection (i.e., six separate plugs at each end), then the Dolby Digital decoding is being handled by the player, so the player's delay should govern.

I should add that this is a generic answer, since I'm not personally familiar with your particular equipment. There may be additional tweaks that people who have the same hardware can suggest.

M.

Thanks. I am using a digital optical connection. The DVD player will only let you adjust the speaker distance a minuimum amount but, if as you say, I'm using the digital then it shouldn't matter because the receiver is doign the decoding. Makes sense. I'll just set the delays in the receiver and ignore the DVD player settings (which I was using previously since the player was doing the decoding with the old receiver.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks