What's new

Where to set the crossover? (1 Viewer)

I just bought a budget set up:

Receiver: Insignia NS-R5101HD

Speakers: Insignia NS-HT51

I've been sick so I haven't had a whole lot of time to mess with it, but I watched some of the movie "Coraline" last night and it sounded great, but this afternoon I popped in "Gladiator" just to test it and the sound was wonderful, but the voices sounded a bit tinny. The speakers are set to small so the bass should be going through the sub, but when they talk, nothing comes out of the sub. What should I set the crossover to? My options are 50, 80, 100, 150, or 200 Hz.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Vocals are not supposed to come out of the sub. I have that same receiver and I love it. Did you run the Room EQ setup? If so, what crossover did it choose? I would try 150 and 200 and see which sounds best. Your speakers show they go down to 175hz.(right between the 2).

The setup put it at 80. I changed it to 150 and that seems to help a lot. I tried a few more movies and they sounded fine, so maybe it's the Gladiator movie.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
You say the voices sound tinny. Is there enough volume though? If not, you may have to increase the volume of the center channel by a couple decibels.

I watched another movie last night and it sounded great. I have a little volume tweaking to do, but everything is good now except Gladiator. I'm guessing it's just that movie.

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
Do you have a decibel meter to check all the speaker levels? I did that after I ran the Room EQ and made a couple adjustments.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks