What's new

Where to set my crossover? (1 Viewer)

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
I have the Onkyo 600 and JBL N26 mains with the NSP1 set center/surrounds and Sony SAWM40 sub. Where should I put the crossover? I had it at 100, but recently lowered it to 80 to get a little more sound from the front speakers. Should I leave it here or put it back to 100? (Will the N24's sound better with it at 100?) Just want to make sure I'm not introducing extra distortion or anything if they can't handle it...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well, Jason, let me ask you a question: Are you feeding the Sony sub from the Onkyo's LFE output? If so, the Onkyo has an internal crossover at which signals are sent to the sub. This means that if you set the sub's crossover lower than the receiver's crossover, you will have a frequency gap between the two where you won't get much output. I don't know the 600's crossover frequency, though. Perhaps some other members can chime in here...

If the answer to my question is no, i.e. you're feeding the sub a signal thru the speaker outputs and then running speaker wire back to the JBLs, then set the crossover wherever you like it best. The N26 is rated down to 55 Hz, so at a minimum I would keep the sub's crossover a bit higher than that.

Hope this helps.

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
All speakers are set to small in the onkyo, and the crossover is in the onkyo. I have the sub on the LFE channel with it's xover set to max (disabled). I didn't notice a major difference in sound between 100/80 with onkyo's xover, but when I set the front speakers to large I DID notice music sounding a little more "full". But this made the bass going to the sub less (no bass from the front channels went to the sub...) so I set all speakers back to small. I just wanted to know what others were using and if this (80 hz) was too low for the N24s (it would be nice if I could set the front speakers to 80 and everything else to 100...).

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
Well, it seems you've got all your ducks in a row concerning sub hookup. That's good - it makes explaining things easier!!!

The JBL N24II (not sure about the original) is rated to 75 Hz at it's -3dB downpoint. The 80 Hz x-over point should just be sufficient for them. My advice would be to try it for awhile and see if you like it. If not, you can always change it back. I can't tell you if the N24s will sound better with a x-over of 100 Hz as compared to 80 Hz simply because audio is so subjective. If YOU like it better, than that setting is better. There is no right or wrong answer...

Jason Spencer

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, do you think the lower xover freq will reduce my sub output very much? I'll do some playing, just don't want to waste time with something someone else has already done :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks