What's new

Where to sell CDs? (1 Viewer)

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I don't know about Blackstone but in most places people get next to nothing for CD's. I've thought about in the past and it's normally $1.00 maybe $2.00 if the CD is a big seller.
It's kind of like students selling there books back at the end of the semester. A book that cost $75.00 three months ago is going to fetch $3.00 even if it is in like new condition.
If you can your better off putting up a note in the supermarket and trying to sell them yourself.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
I have never used secondspin.com's online service, but they have a retail store in Denver that I used all the time and got great money for. They used to issue a monthly list of hot titles...most they would pay $5 for. Not sure if the website does this....

Ben LG

Stunt Coordinator
I usually use ebay which has a set price feature now so you can use that if you dont want to wait for an auction, half.com works too. Half.com and ebay are basically the same, either one works well.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Some good, standard online options have been mentioned.

But, for me personally, the novelty of the 'Net and some of the serendipity of online auctions have given way to tedium--the tedium of posting an auction, monitoring its progress, administering all the e-mail, going to the post office to ship and sometimes (albeit rarely) having to deal with, um, less-than-stellar members of the ebay community.

And, if these other online options that buy discs outright are like Wherehouse.com I don't like that they retain whatever discs you mail to them which they don't buy even if you were quoted a price online before shipping.

This issue is one of the bigger reasons I'm lamenting Wherehouse's Chapter 11 filing. They were/are the biggest major player in the preowned CD and DVD market.

-p

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Paul, thanks for the Spun link. Looks interesting. I'm going to try to sell my sister's old pop music tonight on it.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul

Mike Broadman,

Although I have not sold anything to them, I have purchased more than a few CDs and DVDs hiccup-free from them via Amazon Marketplace. Lemme know what you think.

Interestingly, a logo at the bottom of some Wherehouse.com pages says "Powered by Spun.com"

-p

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I put in an order last night. Selling a bunch of li'l sis' old pop crap (N'Sync, J-Lo, Britney, et al) and getting a double Zappa disc that was ruined via water damage.
We had quite a bit of fun going through that stuff and making fun of it.
They were giving me $13.98 in credit, which is 13.98 more than a B&M shop was offering. They're going to provide the packaging, too. In the end, I had to pay less than 3 bucks for shipping.
Some items they didn't take included Joey McEntyre and N-Sync's debut album. They were promptly thrown out.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Mike:

Pop back in and let me/us know what you think of the packing materials they send you once they arrive.

I guess you're referring to what you paid to send the discs to Spun? Is it a postage pre-paid box they send to you to ship your discs to them?

Curious about their recourse when the inevitable hooligan either does not send in the titles for which they've already received credit or sends in discs that are in Spun's opinion unacceptably scratched. I guess they already have your credit card number for what you purchased and can ding you accordingly . . .

-p

Dave Bennett

Screenwriter
Sometimes your best bet is a local place. there's a local place near me that gives between 5-8 per CD. Their probelm is they're VERY picky about what titles they'll buy.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Paul,
I just sent my stuff to Spun this morning. The packing materials fit the CDs fine- the box was just the right height and I was able to use some of the bubble wrap to prevent it from jiggling around too much.

As for scratches and such, on their web site they say they'll charge for any CDs they can't accept.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks