What's new

Where to see TTT in NJ? (1 Viewer)

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
I'm really looking forward to seeing this film! Unfortunately, I live in Morris county NJ, and the theaters in this area, err, leave something to be desired. They cram 12 theaters into one building, with small screens, few stadium seating options, and mostly mediocre sound.
:frowning:
There are *some* good theaters relatively far away (45 min), but would appreciate anyone with some experience here.
Saw FOTR in Edgewater multiplex, and it was awesome. They played it in the digital theater, which has a huge screen and great sound. Problem is, they're only going to show it in that specific room at 11:15 pm. Not an ideal start time for a 3 hr movie!
Can anyone point me to a sweet place?

Llappin

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Leila
I see all my movies at 145 State Route 10, East Hanover, NJ 07936, 973-515-1200. I don’t think the picture is the best but the audience is the best I have found in New Jersey around where I live.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Go to the AMC Clifton Commons on Route 3 - should be 20 minutes from Montville at most. Go to an early matinee on a non-school holiday weekday and there won't be any crowds. Focus and sound have been fine in my last visits there.

Commercial message: Take a 25 minute drive up Route 287 to the 1924-vintage single-screen Lafayette Theatre in Suffern, NY. It's the largest capacity auditorium (1250 seats) in the New York/New Jersey area (outside of a couple of venues in NYC) and features an HPS4000 sound system. (The loge area has stadium seating and is open on weekend nights.). We took over the theatre a month ago and have made numerous improvements there, especially cleanliness. More improvements to come...

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
I live in Budd Lake (Morris County) and the closest theaters to us are the one in Succassuna (sp?) and Mansfield (outside of Hackettstown). The Mansfield one is MUCH better, they even have a few rows of stadium seats in the back of each theater.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
For clarification, the Edgewater theater is NOT showing TTT digitally unfortunately, however I saw it there Thursday in their biggest auditorium and it was awesome!:emoji_thumbsup: I can imagine how great FOTR looked there projected digitally. Sorry I missed it last year.
The Clifton Commons is a fine theater but the Edgewater Multiplex blows it away, imo.
Pete
Here is another movie theater coincidence. I recently got married and moved to Mahwah where my wife grew up. She used to go to the Lafayette theater in Suffern all the time during her childhood (like me and the Loews Jersey) and has been urging me to take her again. Glad to hear that you have "taken it over". Is it a reastoration ala the Loews Jersey? Please keep us all updated and keep up the good work.:)

Ron S

Stunt Coordinator
For clarification, the Edgewater theater is NOT showing TTT digitally unfortunately
Hm, they might have lied... But the 11:15 show was too late, anyways. Broke down and made the schlep to Edgewater Dommons. Would have preferred something local, but I didn't want to be disappointed in the film presentation

So ended up going to Edgewater after all. Huge theater, enormous screen, great sound. I was in TTT heaven.

Thanks for your replies, people! Will have to check in on the Mansfield theater...

Thanks again!

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Tino:
Luckily, the Lafayette was only closed for two months when we took it over, so it didn't need the kind of work the Loew's is going through. It's also not a "palace" in the sense that the Loew's is, but more of a very large (1250 seats) "neighborhood" theatre. Most of the work we've done so far involved cleaning cleaning and more cleaning, painting of seatbacks and floors and stabilizing some bad plaster. My main job was getting the projection booth back in order. We've got a few projects to come, the most important - to me - is the new screen, lenses, curtain and masking. When we're done, we'll have the ability to show every normal aspect ratio properly masked (including Academy and 1.66). This is important since the "Big Screen Classics" movie series is going to be moving up there in March (since you're in Mahwah, I expect you at every show ;) ) Since that job involves a lot of custom work, it won't be done until the end of Januray at the earliest, I'd guess. We're also installing a new concession counter and redecorating the lobby. Here's a pic of the outside: http://www.galaxy-movie-theatre.com/suffern/index.html . There'll be more pictures up there soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks