What's new

Where to see snow in Southern California? (1 Viewer)

David Nguyen

Stunt Coordinator
My significant other and I would like to experience snow without actually going to a ski resort, as we can't afford to have the whole experience of renting a cabin and going skiing or snowboarding.

I know its a strange question, but if anybody knows an alternative to driving 2-3 hours up into the mountains, then please enlighten me. ;)

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
if anybody knows an alternative to driving 2-3 hours up into the mountains
Sorry but it only snows reliably in California at higher elevations. At least there are some mountains close to the LA area. The only alternative is to wait. For example, we get around 2 inches of snow here in Santa Clara county every 20 years or so. I'm sure it has snowed in LA a few times in the last 100 years.

Jonny K

Second Unit
It's sure depressing to see people asking where they can find snow, while I'm up here in Canada asking where I can go where there's NO snow!

Ah...California dreaming...

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
yeah Wrightwood, www.mthigh.com the closest...i have a season pass there =P

it's about an hour drive from OC and you don't have to pay anything except gas and some lunch....just go up there and play with the snow on the side, just be courteous to us snowboarders because you guys aren't paying for parking....

Nathan*W

Screenwriter
Real Name
Nathan
That's kind of like saying, "I'd sure like to see the ocean, but I'd rather not drive 2-3 hours to the beach..."

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
Make a weekend trip to nyc with your girly. No money eh? Not a bad idea to start saving up for next year.

ajpeacockk

Auditioning
Real Name
ashley
Originally Posted by Nathan*W

That's kind of like saying, "I'd sure like to see the ocean, but I'd rather not drive 2-3 hours to the beach..."

Good thing I only live 10 mins from the beach then, right?

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Ron Etaylor

During the holidays doesn't it snow every night on Main Street in Disneyland?

Yes it does, it snows little tiny soap bubbles. But, it does look very, very cool. Add in all the Christmas decor and lights and it's tough to beat.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Originally Posted by Jonny K

It's sure depressing to see people asking where they can find snow, while I'm up here in Canada asking where I can go where there's NO snow!

Ah...California dreaming...

Ha, right now it's California drenching. Lots and lots of rain. Thing is, it's a warm rain so I'd guess the mountains won't be seeing much snow from this Pineapple Express.

DPW8163

Auditioning
Real Name
Dan
This is funny seeing all of these smart comments...... People are so bored and selfish and useless..... The are a couple of options locally, to avoid the multi hour trips, traffic, etc... Drive above Beaumont, to Oak Glen, where there is snow when it's Get gets to the lower elevations, like tomorrow, and Mt Baldy is also an easier drive , but not tomorrow, and even Just going up the back side of big bear can get you into some beautiful snow without going all the way into town. Also check Lake Arrowhead, it's nice, and an easier drive than Big Bear as well. Have fun.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Strange, this thread. As Ron notes, right now we're being drenched in SoCal. Today, Los Angeles got pummeled with more rain. Now cold weather is making its way here (cold, that is, by SoCal standards). However, I did read in the Times that the snow level has declined to 2,000 feet. So, the snow is pretty close for an Angeleno seeking a winter wonderland without having to drive too far.

So, Ashley, how did you manage to find this thread and resurrect it? (I mean, it has been seven years.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks