Where to run wire; Wall plates;

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jason Price, Sep 26, 2001.

1. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

I'm preparing to finish my basement, but am going to run all the wire before putting up the drywall. I'm looking for info on two things:
    1) Where to run the wire to. Future-proofing is nice, as I don't really want to tear down the drywall after I put it up. [​IMG]
    2) Wall plates. What do you guys suggest using for wall plates or fasteners for the speaker wire? Multiple inputs behind the receiver and then plates at the speaker locations? What kind of plates and where to get them? Do people generally use wall plates?
    Here's my room, for reference (unlabeled boxes are speakers. No sub in the pic, because I have no clue where to put it, hehe):
    [​IMG]
    Any input would be appreciated.
    ------------------
    -Jason
    If at first you don't succeed, see if the loser gets anything...

2. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

If you're using a 5.1 system now, then I'd suggest using quad wire for all your runs. That'll go a long ways towards "future proofing" (if there really is such a thing) your existing channels. Also lets you bi-wire it it can be done in your situation.
    As for extra runs to make.....I'd make 2 extra runs to the rear-center, and one (or two if you buy alot of wire) run to the sides (between the fronts and surrounds).
    Depending on how you're finishing your ceiling, you can just leave these extra runs on top of the walls. If you'll have access to the space above the ceiling after it's finished (drop ceiling) then I wouldn't go to the trouble and expense of terminating those wires yet. It's a 5 minute job down the road to cut a hole in the sheetrock and run a fischtape up the wall and pull the wire down....then install the wall plate.
    If you're sheetrocking the ceiling, I guess you could just let the wire hang inside the wall (maybe mark the place where the wire hangs in some unobtrusive way), then you could cut the hole in the wall later and just pull the wire through.
    As for wall plates....I got mine at Lowes (home improvement place if you don't have them up there) and they have 2 5 way post on each plate.
    As for behind the receiver.....I'd just run the wires into the wall. I wouldn't limit myself by putting a plate in the wall back there. It's not going to be visible in the room.
    I'd say put an electrical box in there and drill a hole in the side of it. Then get yourself a plate cover that has a large hole in the front of it and just run your wires into that. That way you've got room there for future runs you may not be thinking of now.
    This is basically how I have mine done.....my equipment rack is set into the wall and I have about a half dozen cables run to the back of the TV....I have a conduit through the wall and an electrical box behind the TV with a cover with a hole in it.....that way I can always run another cable or two through there down the road without haveing to buy a new plate cover because of lack of inputs.

3. Bill Lucas

Bill Lucas Supporting Actor

Jason,
    I tlooks like you have a great start. I strongly suggest that you make sure you close off the back wasll (perhaps pocket doors) and the opening at the right side of the room. Acoustically your performance will be much higher if you do. Good luck.

4. TomK

TomK Stunt Coordinator

Jason,
    I'd suggest that in the walls and ceiling for the wiring you run conduit to run the wires through. This way if there is a change in the future you can simply drag new wire through. A bit of extra work up front but well worth it in the future and if there is any problem.
    Tom

5. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter

This doesn't answer your original question, but what about these locations for a sub?
    [​IMG]
    ------------------
    Bill [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Jason Price

Jason Price Second Unit

Mike-

7. Bill Catherall

Bill Catherall Screenwriter