Where to put the DVD's?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by Brian Kosmoski, Dec 14, 2004.

1. Brian Kosmoski

Brian Kosmoski Auditioning

Any suggestions for a wall mount shelf or rack to store DVD's. I have a one year old who loves to take/grab anything he can reach. With a lack of closet space in my HT I need to put in some sort of wall mounted book shelf. Any suggestions where to look?

2. Andrew Stoakley

Andrew Stoakley Stunt Coordinator

Hey Brian,

Depending on how many DVD's you have, IKEA makes some media specifics cabinets that are pretty good. Take a look at my theatre link to see the picture I have of the cabinets I bought. They were really easy to mount and stores about 60 single DVD cases. As you can see, I'm running out of space though!!! [​IMG]

They were pretty cheap too... about $35 Cdn.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,
    Andrew Stoakley

3. Leo Kerr

Leo Kerr Screenwriter

Home Depot has 8" shelving brackets (folded tabs that go against the wall and below the shelf itself.) Simple, inexpensive, and I haven't had any troubles with unsupported centers on my 36" shelves. You can also use them to make center supports for longer runs (also giving you dividers, too.)

I think the metal bits are about US$2.00 each; I used some old 1"x6" pine boards I had left over from a previous failed shelving project. EZ-Anchors or something like that to zap into the sheetrock without worrying about finding studs.

Either that or go into a small metal rolling door with a lock... [​IMG]

Leo Kerr

4. Tim K

Tim K Second Unit

I agree with Leo....and I'd like to add that Home Depot and Lowes both sell pre-cut shelves (with nice routed edges) that you can stain, paint or finish to your liking. Slap a couple of brackets on the wall at the studs and you are good to go. You can use either the small metal "L" brackets or they also sell matching wood brackets. Either way they are pretty inexpensive solutions.

If you are a bit more handy you could always cut into the drywall between a few studs and make some cool recessed shelving.

5. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

You might want to try a 400 DVD/SACD/CD Mega-Changer such as a Sony unit. These can be had for under $300. All your discs stored in one player. The player will give you a on-screen organizer to set up your selection by genre, theme, artist, etc. It also shows an image from the movie or an image of the DVD cover to help you select a disc. You can just keep the DVD/CD jewel cases out of sight in a box somewhere, as you will not need them again. If you have more than 400 discs, two or more Mega-Changers and be daisy-chained together!

6. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I think I have this phobia of people looking at the dvds like they are going to rent dvds at the local blockbuster.

7. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Glenise:

My wife tells everyone that my DVDs are breading because everytime she turns around there are more to be seen.

Brian:

Here is some off the storage options from IKEA.

8. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Good one Parker!

9. Andrew Stoakley

I hear ya Glenise. That's why I keep my DVD's behind smokey glass... you can see, but no touchy [​IMG]

I start to twitch and get all shakey when people ask me if they can borrow a 'few'. The last time that happened, my wife lent a couple of titles to our neighbours and when I got them back, they looked as though someone had used them for skates! Scratches everwhere and my Boogie Nights DVD wouldn't play at all. Nothing like going over to the neighbours to say they owe you new DVD's... good times.

After that incident I decided to not lend them out anymore.

Cheers,
    Andrew

10. Brian Kosmoski

Brian Kosmoski Auditioning

Thanks for the tips! My HT is nearly finished and while on a small budget and making taking some serious trade-offs with the Mrs. I am very happy how things will turn out.

I figure for my first shot at this it will be pretty cool. I'll be sure to post a few snapshots when I'm done.

By the way the board is a fantastic resource. Thanks again!

11. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
    Ikea SCARA racks. They aren't pictured on their site or in the catalog. They are $69 each and are rated to hold 302 DVDs.
    There are three of them side by side in this picture. They come in white, but we painted them black. Like anything from Ikea some assembly is required, and make sure you use a studfinder to firmly attach them to the wall. We were so happy with them in our old home (in picture) that we purchased 8 of them for media storage in the new theater.

[​IMG]

12. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

I feel the same way Andrew.
    Freakin' family and/or friends just want to borrow your dvds so they don't have to pay to rent them from Blockbuster.
    Now I bet if you charged people they would be offended but the difference is our discs are in prestine condition, where as Blockbuster's isnt.

13. Glenise

Glenise Supporting Actor

Nice Scara racks Adam!

14. johnathan

johnathan Stunt Coordinator

Brian
    I know you are looking for a shelf. Here is what I have done. Over the years the collection has grown and the DVD's took up way too much room. I decided to store the cases and put all of my collection in binders.

I use DVD profiler to index them. It has worked out great as I just numbered each sleave in the jacket and placed the disk in it according to collection number. You can use the software to quarry your collection. No need to worry about the physical order [alphabetical]as the software will sort however you like.

I have 765 DVD's stored this way and they are all at my fingertips no more digging or searching !I know that the info on the jacket is important to browse with dvd profiler you have that info and more on screen for all to see via HTPC / Sony HS-10

[​IMG]

15. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Okay, I figure there must be a million of these DVD storage threads on here, so rather than start yet another, I figured I'd piggyback on this one. I'm hoping someone can help me out.

I am looking for a cabinet for my DVDs - something with doors, closer to an armoire or chest of drawers than just a rack. I know everyone is very proud of their collection, but my girlfriend and I would prefer to keep ours behind doors and out of dust and light, and looking more like a piece of furniture. I haven't had much luck searching local stores and checking the internet, because everybody seems to carry the same thing (Prepac stuff). This is pretty close to what I'm looking for:
    http://www.storeyourmedia.com/Produc...uctid=CVS-0287

But I'm wondering if there are other options out there... sites I haven't seen or thought of, etc. Right now, between all the DVDs, PS2 and GameCube games, we probably have close to 300 discs. A unit around 500 capacity would probably be good. Thanks for your help!

16. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    I use clear plastic media storage containers designed for DVDs. Each container holds approx. 25. I have the container labeled and then have a list which catalogues what DVDs are in which container.

I went this direction for several reasons. Not enough space for shelving, plus I don't like the look of walls covered in DVDs. Compact storage. Keeps the DVDs safe, out of sight and clean.

Works great and I can find any DVD fast.

17. Scott Mac

Scott Mac Auditioning

Andrew,

What are the dimensions of your theater? My plan for my unfinished basement will be almost identical to yours, right down to the amount of seating and location of RPTV.

Thanks in advance,

Scott

18. Andrew Stoakley

Hi Scott,

I'd be more than happy to tell a fellow Bramptonion ( I grew up in the city ) about my room. The dimensions are approximately 17'9" x 9'11".. give or take a bad tape measure. The ceilings are 8ft high, except for the part where that venting duct runs and then it dips to around 7ft.

The front of the TV measures 27" to the back of the wall with my first row of seating at about 8ft. The second row starts around 11 ft to the screen, not the back of the wall.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

Cheers,
    Andrew

19. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

So does anybody have any ideas on my question about where to look for a storage cabinet?

20. Parker Clack

Parker Clack Schizophrenic Man

Parker
    Eric:

I am looking to a friend making me a couple of custom racks. My wife turned me on to a company called Seventh Avenue. They have a couple of mission style racks that I like.

The first is

[​IMG]

It holds 465 DVDs and is only $79.95.

The second is

[​IMG]

and it holds 225 DVDs and is $149.00.

Parker