1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Where to purchase Speakers

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by EYESPORTS, Feb 7, 2005.

1. EYESPORTS

EYESPORTS Agent

After all the helpful advice on setting up a family room 7.1 speaker system, I've decided to go with the Paradigm Reference (Studio) Series. I went to an authorized Paradigm dealer - who basically gave me the list price, then took off a percentage (I am purchasing a center, 2 bookshelf (40's) and 4 surrounds from him). Wasn't overly impressed by the discount considering the purchase. Anyone have any useful information in purchasing Paradigm speakers. I understand that purchasing online is basically not an option (voids warranty, possible grey market items, etc). Just looking for advice before giving in to the local dealer. Thanks.

2. JimMIT

JimMIT Stunt Coordinator

Jim
    In my experience with Paradigm dealers, some are willing to give anywhere between 10% and 20%. It depends variously on the dealer's mindset, how much gear you are contemplating buying, how serious he thinks you are, whether or not he views you as a possible repeat customer, how much stock he moves, how much competition he has and, of course, your negotiating skills.

Notice, I said some are willing. I came across one who not only wouldn't talk discount; he refused to even take a pair of Studio 40's out of their boxes so I could audition them. Needless to say, that dealer didn't see a dime of my money.

My advice to you:

1) It is always a good thing if you can get your best deal locally. That way, you are supporting a local merchant and it is much more convenient for you should you have some problem with your speakers. If you haven't already done so, do your negotiating with the owner, not a salesman. Convince him that you are a serious buyer; that you would really prefer to buy from him but that price is an important consideration. Give him the distinct impression that if you are "treated right," you would continue to shop there for all your future audio needs. Let him know as politely as you can that you are a knowledgeable shopper; that you are aware that many Paradigm dealers have been known to give as much as 20% off of the MSRP of their speakers. Without making it sound like a threat, hint to him that you are willing to travel some distance to other Paradigm dealers if necessary, e.g., "I really don't want to travel to Podunk to see such-and-such Paradigm dealer, but it looks like I might have to."

2) If you are not satisfied with the discount your local dealer is offering, be willing to actually travel some distance. Find out where other Paradigm dealers are and, if feasible, go talk to them. In my case, I live in the Baton Rouge, LA area. I traveled to New Orleans, LA, Houston, TX (three different stores) and Alexandria, LA in order to listen to and negotiate with dealers. I ended up buying mine in Alexandria, LA where I got the best price. In your situation, if you find much better prices elsewhere, you could purchase there or use those prices as negotiating leverage with your local dealer. (Admittedly, Houston (5 hrs away) was a long way to travel; as it happens, I have a daughter who lives there and I combined my auditioning with a family visit.)

3) During any negotiations, don't only consider price. Also consider what any given dealer might be willing to throw in. Perhaps dealer A is willing to give you 10% off, but dealer B will not budge on the price. However, maybe dealer B, if asked, would throw in speaker stands and/or cables for free. They might be worth more than the 10% dealer A is offering. It's something to think about.

Good luck!

3. EYESPORTS

EYESPORTS Agent

Thanks JIM. Very useful info. I live in a large Metro. area - we have 3 Paradigm authorized dealers within a 25 mile radius. So, should be easy.

4. David Bikeman

David Bikeman Stunt Coordinator

"you are supporting a local merchant and it is much more convenient for you should you have some problem with your speakers."

Very good advice, Jim. However on the statement above I will throw in my experience with Ascend (internet direct). One of my 340's was damaged by UPS in transit. I notified Ascend right away and a new speaker was shipped that same day. When the new speaker arrived, I packed up the damaged speaker and shipped it back to Ascend prepaid. It couldn't have been easier. I didn't have to leave the house. It was a bit frustrating having to wait three days for the new speaker to arrive but I've had an audio dealer keep me waiting for a few months on a replacement power cord (long story).

David