Where to pre-order DVD's

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Fred R, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Fred R

Fred R Auditioning

I use to pre-order DVD's from DVDexpress and they would be in my mailbox the day of the release. But recently I have had bad luck with DVDexpress. I had pre-ordered Ben Hur and did not receive it on it's release date. And any movie I order seems to take a long time in arriving.
    Does anyone else get pre-orders to your mailbox the same day as the street release date?
    ------------------

2. James Nguyen

James Nguyen Second Unit

Fred,
    my last two pre orders with dvdplanet.com have arrived day of street release. I've forgotten where they ship from but they've been consistently getting them to my door the day after i've placed an order, and in the cases of pre-orders, getting them to me on street day or day after.

3. Jodee

Jodee Screenwriter

DVD Empire is also very good and has excellent pre-order prices (often 30% off).
    If you're not in an absolute hurry, they now offer Media Mail instead of Priority, which takes longer but saves a lot on shipping costs.

4. Ernest

Ernest Supporting Actor

I have been ordering from DVDEmpire for sometime and the DVD's always arrive on a Monday, the day before release. Very good service no problems to report. DVDPlanet is also very good and delivers very close to the release date. DVDPlanet offers 30% discount on pre-orders, while DVDEmpire will vary from 25 - 35%.

5. JustinT

JustinT Stunt Coordinator

I have also always bought from DVD Empire. They have never dissapointed me, and the pre release prices are fantastic.

6. NeilEdwards

NeilEdwards Stunt Coordinator

Since DVDExpress went bankrupt, I have been buying from DVDPlanet. I have an 8 month order history with them with one order per week and several hundred DVD's.
    I can say that I have NEVER had a problem with them. The DVD's are in my hands on the release date. They ship from Las Vegas.
    Although I pre-order all of my DVD's, I don't necessarly get to watch them on a timely basis. If you get 20-30 a month, there simply is not enough time to see them all. But since DVD's go out of print so quickly, I want them in my hands before I lose out.
    Thank God for a slow summer of releases. I have had a chance to catch up with my viewing.

7. Dave Ringkor

Dave Ringkor Stunt Coordinator

I too have been using www.dvdempire.com with satisfaction. My latest preorder shipment came on the street date, and that was using the Media Mail rate!

8. MikeEckman

MikeEckman Screenwriter

I like CDNow. They also have 30% off preorders, but they have coupons which you can use more than once thats 15% off your whole order. So, when you combine the 30% off and then the 15% off, it comes to something around 41% off the MSRP of the discs. They have fair shipping as long as you order several discs. $4.88 for the first disc, and 99 cents for each addtional, but this is 2-3 day priority mail.
    There is only one big disadvantage to them though, they will not ship your order until the whole thing is completed. So if you preorder movies that are released on separate days, you wont get them til they all come in.
    Other than that, I've been perfectly happy with them.

9. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

DVDplanet rules! 30% off pre-orders and their shipments are always on time.

10. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

The one problem with DVDplanet, and the reason I don't pre-order with them, is that they do not hold or combine orders so you have to pay $2.50 for each shipment as the DVD is released. Those shipping costs add up.
    I pre-order from DVD Empire, Amazon (only with coupons)& Deep Discount DVD depending on which has the lower price. All 3 have excellent service and I've never had a serious problem with any of them.

11. Chauncey_G

Chauncey_G Second Unit

Check out www.deepdiscountdvd.com for some really good deals. I've been ordering from them almost exclusively for quite a while now and haven't been disappointed. They've got VERY reasonable prices, and don't charge shipping. I don't usually get my pre-orders the day they street, but I do get them within the same week. No big deal considering the prices, IMO.

12. Marvin

Marvin Screenwriter

Marvin
    Is it cheaper to pre-order from DVDempire as compared to ordering after the DVDs are available? I checked a few currently available DVDs on their site and they also show 30% off.

13. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

DVD Empire increases the price on quite a few DVDs after they are released. Columbia & Paramount titles are usually 35% off before release and 30% off after. Also, they will increase the price of a pre-order after only a few days of it being listed on their site. It's best to pre-order with them right away which isn't a bad thing because they have an excellent & easy way to add, cancel & combine your orders.

14. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

I used to order from dvdempire using the priority mail option. They usually ship it the friday or saturday before. And I would get it the day before or the day it was suppose to be released. I just started to use the media mail option, because it was a heck of a lot cheaper. Well they sent me an email saying it shipped on friday and as of today I still have not received it. I called them just to ask what kind of delivery times they have been hearing about. They said it could take up to two weeks [​IMG] I might have to reconsider using that option on dvd's I won't right away.

15. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

regarding ordering online, i'm sure most of you know about this site, but i thought i'd post it anyway.
    http://www.dvdpricesearch.com
    ------------------
    You step in the stream,
    But the water has moved on.
    This page is not here.

16. DanC

DanC Stunt Coordinator

Another vote for DVDEmpire. I always get the dvd the Monday before the release date.
    ------------------
    My Home Theater
    Go Noles!
    >>------>